”Rommel’s Taxi”

  • 151 posts
  • Last reply 2 years ago
Viewing 31 - 45 of 151 posts
  • Tom Bebout said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    OMG, tiny engine with it’s own decals! Nice work Paul this looks like it will turn out to be an exceptional build.

  • David A. Thomas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    Paul, forgive my apparent neglect: it’s finals week here in Academia, and my head is spinning for all the grading I have to do. I’m almost there! But I’ve monitored as best I can, and wow, this is simply amazing and you are doing a fabulous job right out of the blocks! I echo Tom’s remarks about the motor. Just exemplary work!

    It’s a great addition to the GB, and I’m excited to see it going so well!

  • Paul Barber said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    Not at all David, I think you are ‘all over it’ despite all of the marking you are up against – hopefully your students are doing well and you’ll soon get a chance to reward yourself with some time at the work bench!

  • David A. Thomas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    Thanks, Paul. Very kind of you. Submitted semester grades for nearly 200 students over the last 72 hours. I have a graduate lass left to me (a little over 100 pp reading), and then it’s Father Christmas time. I’m fairly drooling over some panel line definition work on the belly of a certain Havoc that is calling my name…

  • Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    Beautiful work on the engine Paul – love the details you brought out via painting, highlighting and washes. Excellent!

  • Ferry Dierckxsens said 2 years, 5 months ago:

    Wow that engine is realy fantastic. Like you mentioned it’s a kit in it’s own right. Wonderful!

  • Tom Bebout said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    Hey Paul, I was at the USAF Museum today and took some pics of this. I believe it was originally hanging from the ceiling. The museum is undergoing some renovations making room for the Memphis Belle.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Paul Barber said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    Thanks so much for posting these Tom, the are great shots and perfectly timed for my return to this build after finishing my YOTC contributions! That’s a really great camo scheme too! The thing that stands out for me is how delicate these planes appear to be – although I’m sure they were tough enough! Some nice detail in these shots to get me going again – thanks!

  • Louis Gardner said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    I have a few pictures of the Stork owned by Kermit Weeks and a few of a fuselage that is currently stored at American Aero Services in New Smyrna, FL.

    Meanwhile here’s what I have available to me at the moment.

    I’ll have to find them and post them up for you.

    Those are some great pictures Tom. You’re lucky to be so close to the Museum. Good job.

  • Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    This engine detail is fab! Congrats Paul. Can’t wait to see more of that Storch!

  • Louis Gardner said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    Hey Paul,
    Here are the other pictures I mentioned in my last reply. I hope these may help you. Luckily the engine access panel was open on both sides…………….

    If memory serves me correctly, this one was a Spanish built plane constructed after the War. But I’m not exactly 100 percent sure though.
    Take care buddy………….

  • Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    The Czechs and the French also built Storchs, postwar. Mraz and Morane Saulnier, respectively.

  • Paul Barber said 2 years, 3 months ago:

    Louis, you are spoiling me with pictures and gentlemen thank you for your comments – I got this one back out yesterday and am hatching a plan. It’ll probably have to include a new compressor!

  • Paul Barber said 2 years, 2 months ago:

    After a little ‘nose art’ distraction and some ‘life getting in the way of fun’ here is the reboot of this Storch build – a little different from the usual cockpit routine and requiring some thought (especially as the next stages will involve the very careful masking of the ‘greenhouse’ of a canopy that sits around the office). Tamiya has included some etched parts that are slightly more robust than the usual aftermarket offerings. I used superglue to attach them.

    I would usually paint most of the interior (seats, stick, pedals etc.) separately before attaching – however since most of this interior is one colour apart from details, I have dry-fitted and glued some parts, using Tamiya thin cement. Thus far it is fitting really well.

  • Tom Bebout said 2 years, 2 months ago:

    Full speed ahead Paul and looking good.

Viewing 31 - 45 of 151 posts