”Rommel’s Taxi”

Started by Paul Barber · 151 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 11 months ago:

That's pretty cool Paul, I'm a physicist too and always liked teaching. Nice library you have there!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Those were but three of many many more shelves Michel. When, in another life (long enough ago) I was a scientist, I looked at thermodynamics in enzyme-substrate interactions. So yes, I crossed over to the dark side a little! I liked the teaching part more - so I became one! Your profession probably explains your eye for detail!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

A physicist with an interest in thermodynamics who builds intricate and complex models from basic, simple parts; an attempt to reverse the process of entropy? Scale modeling as an attempt to be God? Perhaps the Pullman/wife book is a double bluff...

Sorry, I really need to get out more.

• Profile Photo

@Paul, @David: You are both right. Life on earth means order out of chaos and a related decrease in entropy. The source of all this beauty is the highly coherent light we receive here from the sun. Having said that: It helps being down-to-earth when building models, as most Physicists are. You will never apply mud while weathering in places that can not be physically reached. Furthermore, I will never build a dio involving a 20t tank flying through the sky, unless it is an A-10 Warthog of course... 😀

• Profile Photo

It is always about God complexes with you lot! I’m fairly placid, but in terms of iModeller an inferiority complex is probably nearer the truth! I really should read the Pullman stuff, but books on Dunkirk keep getting in the way...

Anyway, in those days I was always more about Gibbs (Free) Energy - in fact, closed systems in the context of the Universe. Very small closed systems in my case. Much less exciting, but a nicer analogy for life as a builder of small plastic things - fairly irrelevant reactions (energetically) not changing the entropy of the universe much. And energy input from the sun is the ultimate reason biological systems don’t transgress the second law. It’s all about equilibrium!

Much more interestingly I once studied the nature of the fluorescence that occurs when scorpions down-convert UV light from the sun. This may or may not have included collaborations with London Zoo, shining lights on Limulids and Solfugids. And David, it is entirely possible that your submersible disturbed a limulid or two during its recovery of the coral-encrusted wreck (I’d tell you that I can’t bring myself to say ‘poopie cat’ but you probably cross-reference it to issues I had during childhood. And you’d probably be right.). Either that or a compulsive need to tie up all those loose ends...

(Disclaimer - the over-simplification of scientific principles in this post, to allow for the flagrant cracking of corny jokes is in no way an invitation to deep scientific debate. In modeller terms - if you think the rivet counters are bad here, try existing in a room populated by biologists and physicists for half and hour (I won’t mention chemists). I’ll tell you now, it can get pretty ugly!).

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

All these hard sciences...yikes. Is there any room here for a artist-poet-theologian?

• Profile Photo

Not always about God complexes, Paul. There's always mother...and sex...

I'd best be off.

• Profile Photo

Um...yeah...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Father!

• Profile Photo

Well...

• Profile Photo

There's a real dearth of good puns about fathers here.

Sorry, Paul. You see what happens when you give the artist/poets some technology?

You need to give us some Storch updates to distract us!

• Profile Photo

It's that dang "ad images to this post +" feature, there at the bottom of the page.

• Profile Photo

See edit for clarity. As you wrote I predicted childhood links. Money for old rope, or what!?!

• Profile Photo

I’ve just realised that could be the God Complex talking - or the need to edit everything.

• Profile Photo

David T. I think the Belgian Physicist and theologue Lemaitre summarizes what you are looking for. A priest himself, he was one of the first to recognize the big bang must have occured basing himself on a thorough application of Einsteins theory of general relativity. He did not question neither his belief nor his scientific mothods. To him, they were complementary.
    I personally regard physics as a pragmatic sience just like him: Physics matches theory and experiment, i.e. what you can measure. The question why nature is what it is is out of our ballpark yet subject to ones' beliefs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre?wprov=sfla1