The Rat Patrol

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 9 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I was very young when this show was on American TV in the mid 60's. Being only 6 at the time when it aired from 66-68, (6-8 years old for me). An American special operations unit loosely based on the British SAS LRDG, taking on Rommel's DAK, a little Hollywood style of course, still a fun show to watch, a little inspiration as I may do one of the SAS Jeeps, Rovers or trucks used by the service. Any way here is a little teaser of an episode that goes along for this Group Build enjoy.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Hans! get up at vonce , zose schtupid British haff fallen for our cunnink plan ,soon vee shall drive zem out of Afrika unt zen zee vorld !hahahaha...that's what you think Jerry.
    Looks like a lot of fun even if they did spell colour wrong,I don't think we got this show in the U.K.
    Glad too have you aboard Chuck.
    N.
    P.S. the pink Landy is definitely post war,but I'm sure you knew that.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Now that looks like fun.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Hard to believe, but when that came out it was closer to the source events than Desert Storm is to us now...

Neil, your "accent" had me in stitches!

Chuck, are you volunteering for those builds? 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I may do the Jeep still checking what I have in the armor stash.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

My CO in basic ( a tanker) had done a rotation at the (then) Ft. Irwin in California. He said that if you were going to mount a pillar mounted .50 on a jeep like the show, you'd better put a LOT of sandbags on the floor. Otherwise, firing it would cause the floor to peel back. Good point, I thought at the time.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 5 months ago:

It is still Ft Irwin in California, vast training center, and usually the staging point for deployment over seas. But that is an interesting point in regard to the .50's mounted on the Jeep. Being that there was very little space to place those bags. Will look into that.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Chuck, is that the NTC, nowadays? I was figuring a reinforced floor, myself. There isn't a lot of room on the floor, for certain. The LT said that in those days, the California NG was OPFOR, and he was impressed by their ability to trip their ambushes. Home advantage, says I. Is Hunter-Liggett still a going concern? That seemed to go on for ever, too. Miles and miles of miles and miles.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Yes it is, quite busy place. Always units in and out. Though I live quite away from the base, as it is situated off Hwy 40 east of Interstate 15 (the main drag to Vegas). There are times seeing convoys on the freeway heading that direction. Hunter-Liggett is up north about 8 hours. The largest US Army reserve command post. Your right it covers about 165 ,000 acres.