The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Gary, Fred and 'Bubi's' dog are identical. That's a beautiful dog you have there.

The thread here is pretty eclectic. Welcome and feel free to contribute, especially if you send more photos of Fred!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but since you suggested... this is Fred after a hard day at the bench... and with my favorite Korean War vet - my dad.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Gary, this build has been hijacked, ambushed, and bushwhacked by everyone else (me included), so join in. Actually, I'm so taken with Fred I think he ought to have his own thread. Fred's Thread. Sounds good.

Best wishes to you and your dad, Gary.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Gary, Fred looks like a white mini-Schnauzer. I've got one of those two (named "Snowy" after Tin Tin's dog).

David, this is remarkable progress and, as always, a captivating story line!

• Profile Photo

Ah, Tin Tin. Such wonderful memories of libraries, childhood friends, and the smell of books.

I'm hoping to make significant progress his weekend, David. We are certainly into the last furlong after my (once again) struggles with figure painting.

Thanks for the post, my friend.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

My dawg...you have to click on it to really see him.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 11 months ago:

No worries about the weather David, in the weeks before the Kasserine battle, it rained cats and dogs in Tunisia. Here on this thread I'm still searching for the cat but the dogs are definitly there... 😉

• Profile Photo

That is a real 'Snowy', David. He's a handsome beast and I'm betting he's every bit the faithful companion.

Michel, the cats are there, two of them!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Has this thread gone to the dogs or what? Say hello to Molly

• Profile Photo

"Hello Molly!"

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Is it time to go build models Dad?

• Profile Photo

James, and friend, welcome aboard. I seem to have tapped a rich vein of material with the four legged friends fraternity. Good to 'meet' you both - please don't let this thread put you off the site. There are some reasonable people around here. Somewhere...

And just to prove I do model work; been doing a little weathering and detailing. Oh, and this is Rudi. Currently involved in a full and frank debate with Vincent regarding 'the Party'. Good lad that he is, Rudi is very much against the Party way and has a long standing love affair with Jazz that started in Berlin while Hitler was gathering his armies. His aspiration was to make his living from playing drums professionally. Alas, another dream that died in a foreign land in pursuit of the Fuhrer's own, darker ambitions.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

All good David. Nice to meet you as well. Excellent work on the figures.

• Profile Photo

Thanks James. Figures have been an absolute curse to me in the past, but if I can share an epiphany with anyone out there who'd like to paint better little people, it's this...

Windsor and Newton 7 series paintbrushes. These are marvels to work with and almost paint the model for you. Yes, they're a little expensive but not much more than other decent brushes. The difference they have made to my ability and enjoyment is stunning.
    Still on a learning curve with this aspect of modeling but these brushes are the only reason I haven't quit with figures.

Highly recommended.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Playing "bent music" and not loving the party? Headed for trouble, that man! Great back story! What size brushes are you using?