The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David, as I said to Chuck, it's about the journey, not the horse. Or the tiger. Or the camel.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

This photo may be relevant - or not. I'll play - but I should warn you, I am strictly in it for the camel.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Paul, you got it - the camel is the star. A metaphor with a hump.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Since high art seems to be de rigeur, I would go so far as to say I am expectant of the ‘George Stubbs’ of camels, David.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

It is indeed about the journey, David. That's why I, I took the road less traveled by. And that has made all the difference...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Robert Frost, love that poem, I have lived that way, taking the road least travelled.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Paul, when I saw that picture with the camel, I knew I had to add it to my Sherman article. having a camel in a desert photo is like well... having a camel in a desert photo. It just adds to the overall sandy desert theme.

David, the answer to your road wheel question is in several parts. I'll try to explain as best I can:

Your Tiger photo is spot on. If you look close at it, you can still see the color of the rubber showing up under the sand and dust.

This overall look will change a little based on the grain of the sand the vehicle is travelling in. A finer grain sand will have a finer dust that looks almost like a powder. This finer grained stuff gets into everything ! It's horrible in your eyes, ears nose and mouth, doesn't taste good in your food or water, and is a maintenance night mare.

This kind of dust sticks to almost anything, people included. When something brushes up against it, the brushing action will remove most of the dust, but it still leaves a light colored powdery residue behind. As the rubber in the road wheel flexes (as it does when the weight of the tank passes over the road wheel where it makes contact at the bottom with the track), this flexing action helps to knock off some of the dust.

This is why road wheels sometimes look as though you can still see the rubber outer lining on the wheel slightly visible under the overall dust coating.

Another thing about rubber road wheels that most people miss:

The track center guides have a tendency to rip little chunks of rubber off the edge of the road wheels. The damage happens at the inner or outer edge of the wheel, depending on how it rides against the guides.

The Tiger has two sets of center guides. One set rides along the edge on the inner set of overlapping wheels, the other set of center guides rides along the edge of the outer set of overlapping wheels. Place a section of road wheels on your tank and then look at it from the front or rear, while aligning the wheels with your eyes. You will notice two small areas in line with each of the wheels. This is where the center guides ride in between the sets of wheels. I'll try to post up some pictures tomorrow showing this, and this will help to explain this much better than I ever could...

As the tank is driven, these areas are damaged mainly on the first and last sets of road wheels. This happens as the tank is turning, and the center guide from the track is trying to jump up and over the road wheels. This happens more often with a track that is loose (such as the Tiger), more than it does on a set of tracks that are tight, (most American tanks).

At first the damage is minimal. But after some time the road wheels get damaged to the point they need replacing. On occasion, the entire section of rubber can rip away from the wheel, leaving behind the steel center section.

I'll definitely post up some pictures for you tomorrow. I have a King Tiger that doesn't have the tracks on it just yet. I can point these places out to you in the photos.

Talk with you soon... Tell Lou the dolphin I said hello... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks for all this, Louis. I'd picked small parts of this up in terms of road wheel wear in some of your previous posts, but this pulls everything into place, especially thinking about how a tank actually turns. This is less about rivet counting than just wanting to know a little more about he subject.

Some photos of actual wear and that replicated on your King Tiger would be great.

The dolphins are fine and their next appearance will be on the project's 'reveal' - probably in a couple of weeks. Dolphins, camels...sensing a theme here.

• Profile Photo

Paul, I will endeavour to do for camels what the venerable Mr. Stubbs did for the equine world.

• Profile Photo

Chuck, that poem is wonderful and an inspiration. As modelers we march to something of a different drum. I have a quote by Robert Frost on my office wall, 'The only way around is through'. We have all been there.

The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

• Profile Photo

And hey, David. Nice to know I'm not the only obsessive nut around here.

Thanks for the company, enjoy the road.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Obsessive it right. I correct the grammar and punctuation of Post It notes I write to myself. So, yeah, I'm a bit obsessive.

Uh oh, I just told that to a shrink...

• Profile Photo

No foul, no harm, David. Takes one to know one, I guess. Rogue apostrophies for me, every time. Drive's me crazy.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You guys are good ! Love it... 🙂

Hello again David. I put off my "honey do" weekend chore list for just a bit in order to answer the question about the road wheels for you. This time I took some pictures as promised last night in my last posting...
    These should help explain what my last feeble attempt did not.

Starting out with a King Tiger that has been sitting idle in the display case way too long after a rebuild was underway...

Here's how I was talking about lining up the road wheels. In this gap shown here between the outer last set of road wheels, is the area where the track center guides run.

This is another photo shown below, showing the area where the inner set of track center guides ride along the inside of track. This set rides on the inner set of road wheels.

Here I substituted a steel rule as a replacement for the track center guides. This is how the inner set of guides would normally run along the inside set of road wheels.

and this photo shows the same thing, but this time it is displaying the outer set...

Now we get to the heart of the subject...

Here I placed the same steel ruler and with a red tipped wooden tooth pick, I'm pointing to the area where the track center guides would start chewing away the rubber on the inside of the road wheel. This type of area would be affected first.
    This is the outer road wheel set showing the inner wheel... complicated sounding isn't it ?

Here is the same wheel set, but from the outside edge. Here again I am pointing to the location on the wheel where the damage would start to occur... using my trusted red tipped pick.

The same thing would be happening along the inside run of center guides. This photo shows the inner portion of an inner road wheel, pointing to the area where damage would most likely occur first.

Followed by the same thing for the outer wheel on the inner set... you get the idea much easier after looking at pictures, because my explanations are not the best... Sort of like trying to describe "Florists Wire"... 🙂

The area on the road wheel that is closest to the center guide gets damaged first.

Now the last thing one needs to consider is this:

The damage (more often than not), occurs on the last sets or (two) of the rear most road wheels. This is the location where the track is lost likely to jump off first. This is due to the forward motion of the tank, and how they pivot when turning.

The front set occasionally gets dinged, but is far less likely prone to damage.

I hope my ramblings make a little more sense now. 🙂

Take care my friend,
    Camels and Dolphins and Tigers Oh MY !

• Profile Photo

Got to say this has started to get way above my pay grade, Louis. But loving it, and hey, I don't have the headache this guy had...

I've been doing a bit of research into the reasons behind the German persistence with interleaved road wheels on their tanks despite the maintenance issues (really, TEN HOURS to change a set of road wheels in theatre!). Fascinating stuff, made more so now with your help and great photos. I've also stumbled over the great 'what the hell color were North African Tigers' debate. Apparently many of the early Tigers into the Tunisian theatre were painted Olive Drab, paint appropriated by the Germans from retreating/defeated American regiments. amazing photos (I'm sure you have seen these) from life magazine here (the second picture is apparently more accurate in shade).

I realise I'm preaching with all the fervour of a convert here, but it has to be said. Tanks are great.

Thanks, Louis.