The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You have made some wonderful progress on the Tiger...and Karl does indeed look worried.

I never dreamed there was so much to learn about a camel. If memory serves me, they were present in North America during the last Ice Age, which was just a little before my time... πŸ™‚

Cave men must have thought them to be a tasty dinner...

I do believe I can sense another future Armor build coming your way... The "Armor" bug has bitten you. There is no cure for it.

However, there is a therapy that works only as a "temporary fix", and that is to build another Armor plastic kit... It briefly relieves the symptoms...but they come back again.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Michel, that's the second time you've made me laugh out loud this evening!

Michel, I'm guessing you're not of the generation that remembers the Bob Hope/Bing Crosby 'Road to...' movies (tbh I'm not either but I remember black and white TVs) - but I'm hoping this might repay you (and Mr Thomas) a laugh...

One of us could borrow a dress from Rob Pollock and pretend to be Dorothy Lamar...

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Haha good one! No I m post SEA tripping by Bob Hope...

• Profile Photo

Louis, I'm a sick man. I enjoy building tanks. There, I said it out loud. Later this year I may think of revisiting Karl and Hans on the Eastern front. Maybe even at their fateful rendezvous with a certain bridge near Belarus.

This evening I painted some more of my crew and of course, the camel. I'm back at work tomorrow so no benchtime until Friday.

Louis, this isn't one of your DAT buddies? I'm reliably informed he was just trying to climb on top of the camel as he couldn't find his tank...

• Profile Photo

Michel, I found a better color scheme for the camel...

• Profile Photo

By jove, a Cameleon...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

"Hut, hut, hut!"~Peter O'Toole as Lawrence of Arabia

• Profile Photo

Rubber rimmed road wheels I paint in the main color first. Then I use a black permanent marker to add the rubber color. After that, you can use enamels.

Re weathering: The rubber chipped here and there so along the rim, you scratch with a hobby knife or small chisel. A final coat of paint finishes that.

Desert weathering I use a combination of diluted acrylic mud color you can spray on with an old (tooth)brush and then some light yellow pigments. That would be my 50 cents...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David !
    Why yes that is one of my DAT buddies ... πŸ™‚ You know us tankers don't like to walk (or march) too far. If we did we would have joined the Infantry !

But sadly when something bad happens to your tank, that's exactly what tankers become... Infantry. In this case a camel riding Infantry...

Now as far as the camouflaged camel ? Where did you find that ? πŸ™‚

Too cool, as is the poster for the movie...

Hopefully you get back to the bench soon.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for those techniques, Michel. What I seriously want to avoid is just replicating aircraft weathering on a tank; seen it done many times before and it looks just 'wrong' to the eye.

• Profile Photo

Louis, like every modeler I spend too much time scouring the internet for 'research' purposes, makes me feel like a modeler even if I can't get at the plastic.
    I'll be back at the Tiger this afternoon (06:30 here in dear old Blighty; oh how I miss Rob's Friday briefings to cheer up the end of my week) and do some work on the crew and weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great looking Tiger, David ! We'll make a proper Tanker out of you if you don't watch out! Clanky things are FUN! Right, Louis? Modeling them takes different techniques than aircraft and you can take that to the bank. They make better targets than camels, though. And they smell better.

Ungulate ... oh deer
    Camelflage
    WOW! What great things we discuss here!

What's that DAT doing? I have an opinion but is open for debate. I do know that some guys (especially some tankers) will do about anything for a laugh ... or a Camel. Besides, while Louis may be right about the DAT and the ungulate, I'll say this. Camel IS tasty. During Desert Storm (because Dessert Storm is something entirely different) we were fed by the Saudis. They furnished our food, water, and fuel. In no particular order. Anyway, we were told that some of the meat we had was camel. I wouldn't bet my mortgage payment on that but I wouldn't be surprised. WHATEVER kind of meat it was, it was tasty after I covered it with a healthy portion of Tabasco Sauce. Tabasco Sauce will make nearly any meat edible. You could shove a sparrow between two slices of bread and if you have Tabasco Sauce it will be edible!

Now that we know how to paint a camel, we can go on. My question is this: how do you weather a camel? SHOULD you weather a camel? Would it be better to smoke one? I have smoked several camels in my day. Uh, the soft pack type. That was long ago.

I am old enough to remember Bob Hope and Bing Crosby "Road To ... " movies. I actually met Mr. Hope and shook his hand at a book signing of his in 1963. The book is titled "I Owe Russia $1200." It is HILARIOUS! As I recall, he talks a bit about camels in the book, among other topics. But I don't think he ever ate one!

So David, what do you make of my obsession with camels? Actually, Peter O'Toole had more opinions about camels than I. Lawrence of Arabia probably did, too. David T. - how comfortable is a camel ride? It looks bouncy. I hear they can run quite fast. I rode an elephant once as a kid. It was at a shopping center I lived near to back in 1959.

Elephants, Tigers, and Camels ... oh my! My post is going to the dogs now, so I'll say "Ta Ta" for now. TTFN.

πŸ˜‰

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

By the way ... I hope Karl and the gang (or Cool And The Gang) have a great day. David, it's really nice that you know their histories. Gone but not forgotten. Forever immortalized in polystyrene and enamel. It's too bad that the 2 crewmen drowned earlier. So it goes. Mayhaps that's what Karl is worried about.

• Profile Photo

Jeff, you just may either the sanest or the most certifiable man I know - can't figure out which...

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Who knew that group build post threads could be a kind of cathartic therapy... πŸ™‚