the Tunisian PanzerKnacker

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 8 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years ago:

The Revell 1/48 Henschel 129 B will be my (late) contribution to this campaign.

I'm quite confident it will not be completed by early June when the campaign is due to finish, but David assured me that would not be an issue.
    The kit decals have the White chevron Blue O, of which I included a photo taken from somewhere in the net, but found this wonderful photo showing an abandoned Henschel after the fall of Tunis... no codes just national insignia and a great RLM 79 squiggle that got me hooked (the one in the background).
    Found a couple more photos of this bird taken from different angles, but couldn't download them to publish them here.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Yeah another panzerkiller! How nice and welcome to the KPGB Pedro!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Years ago, I saw a color photo of "O" in the Life magazine book History of WW II. One I always wanted to do. Are the air filters under the cowlings enlarged? The Henschel was kind of a rare bird in Afrika. I like the second picture, note the overpainting of the insignia and the theater band.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

Great addition to the Group, Pedro. Those Henschels are cool birds.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for welcoming my Hs 129 on the group build.

It seems this plane was not represented yet so I grabbed the opportunity. Been years waiting for an excuse to build it.

Bernard, I believe all the 3 planes depicted in those 2 pictures are B-2 models, though “blue O” and the “red K” are early production of that mark because of the tall radio mast, which was soon dropped. It seems the plane I’m incline to build (the one in the background of the 2nd photo) is already without this mast. The air filters are also standard B-2 types or so it seems. Any additional information is welcome

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

So glad to have you onboard, Pedro, and your addition looks like a great one! Thanks for being a part!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Here's a photo that I "borrowed" from one of Rob's "Friday Briefings"...

I'll have to do some digging, but I think I have some more very similar to this one.

Hope this helps... and your "PanzerKnacker" is a welcome addition to this GB !

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis!

Thanks, ands I appreciate the photo but that is not the plane on the background of other photo I posted. It is very similar indeed, standard european camouflage with 79 squiggles over it, but this is "Red C"(looking closer at the other unidentified Henschel we see that it has a much thinner spray lines with a denser effect than this one, seemingly the 79 lines are not continuous), though both are most likely from the same staffeln. It does however show how the germans quickly blend the camouflage of new machines to local terrain conditions.

Should anyone with this kit stashed at home be willing to build "Red C", it would make an interesting comparison 🙂