U.S. Twelfth Air Force Douglas A-20B Havoc

Started by David A. Thomas · 71 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Not near done, and I may need to undo some things (hate it when that happens!), but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Carry on my friend - looking excellent!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 5 months ago:

This is going to look magnificent once finished. Well done!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg and Morne, The engines are done and I will post soon. Rear gunner's position almost ready for paint. Next up: cockpit and bombardier's station. I'm working on the figurines, which are important for what I am attempting. I've also worked on the glass a bit.

• Profile Photo

Alright, I've completed the engines. Here you see one of them, the Quickboost R-2600, modified with styrene rods and copper wiring:

Here's the stock unfinished engine on the sprue that comes with the kit:

Side by side for comparison:

Here's my finished rear gunner's station:

Dry-fitted:

Note that with the rear gunner's position I used a Dremel wheel (then sandpaper) to grind down the exterior walls to make them thinner for a closer cosmetic fit. The gaps will be closed when I glue it in place, then CA glue to fill.

As Louis says, comments encouraged!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good David, you've really enhanced the rear gunner position. I like it.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Really nice work on the engines! Great improvement, as seen by the side-by-side view. The rear gunners position is also quite an improvement.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, guys.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

WOW David ! Your work looks fantastic ... I normally build my kits right out of the box, so it doesn't really take too much time. But when you're scratch building it's much more time consuming.
    The results are definitely worthwhile though... Simply look at the side by side differences between the kit supplied R-2600 and the "Quickboost" version... It's night and day. The same goes for the rear gunners station...

This is going to be a beaut !

Well done sir !

• Profile Photo

Coming from you, Lou, that is a real compliment. My issue is the blessed surfacing. It just makes my palms sweat and you guys just leave me in the dust. I'm doing all this stuff but I'm such a pup and the finishing issues...well, first things first, I guess.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Firstly, you must be chuffed with way the group is panning out, David - some really inspirational things happening - an especially exciting last few days!

I feel your pain about 'finishing', my personal misery is in filling and rescribing - it's probably why I build so slowly!

Your previous work belies that comment however, and this is looking fantastic - interiors are just outstanding and the engines are brilliant - can you find a way to keep them on show?

• Profile Photo

Much appreciated, Paul. Yes, I’m pretty pleased, especially with the quality of veteran modelers (such as yourself) who have signed on and jumped in with two feet (although my bravado may cause me some indigestion in the near future!). Kasserine Pass/North Africa is simply fish in a barrel when it comes to the historical aspect of modeling. We can choose nearly anything, whether an old classic or an exotic “fringe” item, and be hitting the mark when it comes to subject matter for the Build. Everyone has been such good sports about it, and we’ve already got a fairly good mix of Axis and Allies, armour and air. Of course, my sense of completion also chafes at the gaps in my inventory list: officially we have no naval entries, and some embarrassing gaps remain in the list, but there’s time yet, I suppose.

Also, thanks for your kind words on the A-20. What do you mean about keeping the engines “on show”?

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 5 months ago:

David, I was just musing on whether you could leave a panel open or a cowl off to leave the wonderful detail work you have produced on show?

As to the gaps I have looked long and hard at the list and have had a number of other builds run through my mind - however the Storch looks suitably complex, and I am in for two 'cat' builds. However, I may well come back for another look at the list later as the official reveal is a little way off! Anyway for now I'll 'under promise and over-deliver' if possible!

• Profile Photo
    Julian Shawyer said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Some very nice detail on the engine David, well done.
    This is my first build on iModeler, so I'm still learning how it all works. I noticed you have your photographs between the text, and not at the bottom as an attached image. Could you please tell me how that's done. Is it done through a third party?
    Thank you.
    Regards, Julian.

• Profile Photo

Hey Julian, thanks. I copied the technique of a guy I saw on another site. It takes patience and time, but it adds quite a bit to stock (or aftermarket) rotary engines. That hobbyist's argument was that rotary engines are basically fish in a barrel when it comes to an opportunity to upgrade detail--real engines have visible wiring, and adding it is not that difficult (even if it can be a bit tedious). Cockpits, in contrast, for all the aftermarket attention they get, often result in work that cannot be easily seen or seen at all, especially if we opt for a canopy closed configuration. Anyway, my thoughts.

The organization of pics is a feature of iModeler. When you upload your pics (suppose you include 6 of them in your post), they are marked as {pic1}{pic2}, and so forth up to {pic6}, except they will use--and you must use--brackets like this [ ] (I cannot use them because the site wants to insert pics when I do!). Otherwise the same as you see here: lowercase, no spaces, and a digit) but at the bottom (end) of the post. To insert them, just type what you like, then retype the reference to the photo you want to insert there:

blah blah blah...

{pic1}

blah blah..

{pic2}{pic3}

blah blah blah blah...

{pic4}

and so on...