B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@johnb
    mabye there? It's good hobby-store.
    https://www.mn-modelar.com/1-72-b17-flying-fortress-memphis-belle-sally-b-902111213

PS. Yesterday I found that my brilliant crew figures don't fit into the cockpit 🙁 cockpit are too small I think. I have to use only seatbelts.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@lis, thanks for the suggestion, Bernard. I will have a look at those decals.
    A pity about the figures which you intentionally bought for this kit.
    Are you not able to modify them slightly so they would still fit?

• Profile Photo

@johnb They might be stuffed wide in width, but they are too tall and will not fit under the glazing.

PS. First step was cockpit. I think it is quite poor in elements (especially cetral panel under instrument panel - very common shape and only decal for busola). I added PE instrument panel and seatbelts (Airfix gives only decal with instruments). Rest of them is OOB. The floor was deformed and had to be straightened. Manual said that You need two colors of interior green. In Humbrol it was Dark Green, and Khaki green, so I used Mr Color Zinc Chromate no 1 to paint pilot, andco pilot seats and Yellow Chromate to paint walls. Unfortunately, at the beginning, the model had a few disadvantages. Also for the damaged part in the box. I wrote to Airfix whether it can be complained about. They said yes, but shipping was £ 5.5. I wrote back that I could agree to it, but then I got the answer that they do not accept PayPal or Bank transfer, which disappointed me completely! 🙁 You can only pay with a credit card or checks (which is completely unknown to me because my checks were probably withdrawn around 2000 from all banks). I don't use credit card so I have problem now. I don't know any people there with credit card.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Your extras to the interior did help a lot, Bernard @lis
    Looks very nice now.

• Profile Photo

I'm curious how cockpit looks in Revell kit. I think better than Airfix.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Really nice interior, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

@lis, this is what the instructions say. Not extremely detailed as either.

I did place an order for the decals but the payment part did not go well, so I will have to contact these guys.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Probably better off, @lis, not using credit cards. Your B-17 ( and the others on here) will be beautiful when done. The Fortress is an iconic aircraft.

• Profile Photo

@johnb I Usualy used PayPal in this hobby-store. Always work good.
    Revel instruction looks more detailed than Airfix. There are moulded switches and other instruments on both the main and bottom center panel. in addition, there are belts on the seats.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb @ssgt Yes it's great, iconic plane.
    Credit cards are not safe I know... It's not clear for me why they not accpt another methods of payment. Please look what they wrote for me on photo. maybe I am already old and I can't read with understanding. But the whole answer is not clear to me. Why I need to call to Airfix? Why They didn't tell me clear how I can Pay by credit card (if I have it of coruse).

PS. What do You think about interior color of B-17? Manual suggest Natural Aluminium no interior green. It's possible? Airfix usually has good research about painting,, but all interior in NMF sounds unreal.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

It is really strange that they do not accept Paypal, my friend @lis...

Anyway, interior colors of B-17 is a long long long discussion and it looks like many greens, yellow zinc chromate or even unpainted NMF are in the game! Who'd have thought?

Airfix instructions might be right for the specific birds!

Here are some links you might find useful:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013791-airfix-b-17g-interior-color/

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress Interior Colors Part I

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/b-17-interior-colour.29041/

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/46299-b-17g-interior-colors/

https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/7401.aspx

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/02/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part2.htm

You may easily lose your sanity trying to find all answers regarding B-17 interior colors, a subject that most of us considered being a simple one...

Of course, we are proved wrong...

Bottom line: following Airfix instructions for your specific bird might not be a bad idea...seemingly well researched, it will look "interesting" and "different", without being arbitrary...

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Many many years ago, @lis , I had an Airfix HE-111.

The clear parts for the nose green house were broken .,I wrote them a letter and they were kind enough to send replacement parts at no charge. Unfortunately they mailed the parts in a envelope and they arrived more broken then the original broken parts. This was long before email ( 1970s) and it took weeks for mail to travel from Colorado, USA. to England.

• Profile Photo

@ssgt I could pay this 5,5 Pounds, but why they want such uncomfortable paying methods? In February they send me part for Spitfire free.

• Profile Photo

@lis, it also surprises me that you need to call them for a Visa card payment not are able to make a simple bank transfer.
    Maybe you can sent them a mail refering to your experience in February.

@fiveten, thanks for sharing these useful links, Spiros

• Profile Photo

@lis, regarding my payment, I received a mail from mn-modelar together with a PayPal paymant.
    Did the payment right away, so now I can just wait till my "Sally B" decals will arrive.