B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros. On to the painting.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Prior to applying the upper and lower surface paint, I painted the wing heater areas black. When taking the picture I noticed I forgot to paint the edge of the vertical stabilizer.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 4 months ago:

looks very good

• Profile Photo

@lis, thanks, Bernard.

• Profile Photo

Sally B does have one cowling with a checkerboard pattern, yellow/black, what would be the best approach, go for the decal or try to paint it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Your pre-shading looks great, John (@johnb). I suspect the maintenance crew took the de-icer off the tail and hasn't put it back yet. As far as your checkerboard goes, they are tough to mask and paint, especially in this scale. On the other hand, getting a decal to lay down correctly on the cowling will also be tough. Six of one, a half dozen of the other. Good luck.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I would suggest try the decal first and, if it doesn't work, go for the tedious masking and painting, my friend @johnb.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks for the advice, Spiros.
    @gblair, thanks, George. Exactly my thoughts, decalling such a large area and this shape will not be easy, but painting will also be a challenge.
    Spiros' advice sounds good, if the decal does not succeed, painting can still be doen as a last resort.

• Profile Photo

Bit more work done on the Fortress. Unfortunately I discovered that the tailwheel strut was broken, not sure if it was already broken or it was my enthousiasm to work on the landing gear, likely the last.

This time also painted the heater on the vertical stabilizer and because I had some paint left, the propellors were painted as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Nice, steady progress, my friend @johnb! Surely you will sort out the tailwheel strut issue.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros. The strut is quiet thick, so I guess CA or just regular glue will do the trick, Otherwise a pin of metal to give it some more strength.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 4 months ago:

John,
    The Achilles' heel to this kit is in the construction of the nose and those odd side panels. Just the perfect parts to create mischief for the Gentlemen Modeler who models in this scale. Looks like you've worked out the kinks and have gotten everything into ship shape. The engines really snap up the model and the pre-shading is a prelude to making a excellent build. I've been enjoying reading and watching your efforts in making this kit.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle, thank you, Stephen. Issues with the nose construction are confirmed. A lot of sanding has been done already. I do hope it looks good once the masks are removed.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

John (@johnb), impressive progress here. I suppose it makes sense to go tor the decal first and resort to paint if it fails for the cowling. No matter what, it is an interesting job!

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hello Guys,

First of all, thanks for the kind words regarding my mess on the underparts of the Belle, I appreciate @lis, @gblair, @fiveten, @johnb, @airbum.

Secondly, John your model is looking fantastic, I'm eager to see the Sally B in 1/72, last time I saw her was in Duxford.

Eventually I'm done with the Belle, I'm waiting for a sunny day to shoot her and post the pics on the highlights.
    And there she is:

I tried some effect for this one, smoky exhaust

Thanks for passing by, see you soon for other projects!

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.