B-24D "The Blue Streak", Bond Tour Veteran, Monogram 1/48th

Started by Walt · 219 · 1 day ago · 376th Bomb Group, 41-11613, B-24, Florine JuJu, Halpro, Halverson Project, Monogram, Ploesti, Teggie Ann, The Blue Streak
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 12 months ago:

Spectacular!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Spectacular indeed, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

This is very impressive, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

The new panel lines and rivets look awesome, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I can't imagine the amount of work it took to complete the lines and rivets. I did a small fraction of this on my B-25, and it seemed to take forever.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks, Lis, @lis, Spiros, @fiveten, John, @johnb, and George. It does seem to take a bit of time George, @gblair, but once you get a plan laid out the hardest part is keeping everything consistent, straight and where appropriate parallel. I found the second wing top took a bit over half as long as the first wing. I am hoping the fuselage halves will be the same. Honestly I think it is going to add a lot to the finished product when I finally get to the paint stage.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Your results prove that you are clearly proficient using the tools and planning your upgrade, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I spend quite a bit of time filling and re-sanding my many mistakes. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

No progress this weekend on the B-24. My office/hobby room was one of two carpeted rooms in our house. Between shaking an open bottle of black resin in the room and my poor dogs cancerous tumor hemorrhaging while in my office, the carpet had to go. I pulled it out and stripped the cement floor of glue from a previous linoleum floor, taking Friday off from work in three days was able to complete the new floor of my office. No no more carpet monster, but damn if I drop it on the tile it will certainly shatter.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

The room does look way much better now, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Sorry to hear about your dog.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks John, @johnb, I miss her a lot. Her sister is also plagued with cancer as well as diabetes, but continues on. She is good company but with her conditions along with her 14 years are definitely showing. I like the room, but noticed right off that the noise level went way up. No carpet to absorb the sounds.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Sorry to hear abou your dog, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman. Your new floor looks super! Indeed, more noisy!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Well I have finished the scribing and riveting of the upper wings, tail surfaces and both fuselage halves. I am now starting work on the lower wing surface. Before I do though I want to prepare and begin the the installation of the wheel wells and engine nacelles. Starting on the starboard wing I have the opening for the wheel well already done. Experience with "The Squaw" really paid off here, it only took me maybe an 1-1/2 to 2 hours to get to this point. The fit is really quite nice if you get the opening right.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! The wells, as in "The Squaw", are a total departure from the kit offering!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Very nice progress, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    All the extra work you put into it is definitely a big improvement.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months ago:

Well last night I got home from work and after dinner set out to do the port wing gear bay. After and hour, was at this point and pretty happy. I also bought some new glue that had promise, not only here but especially when it comes to gluing on canopies. It is a clear UV cured resin. I used it on the two nacelle parts that I had to glue in the insert into. It seems to work pretty damn good!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Tha bays look awesome, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    This glue seems great!