B-24D "The Blue Streak", Bond Tour Veteran, Monogram 1/48th

Started by Walt · 219 · 1 week ago · 376th Bomb Group, 41-11613, B-24, Florine JuJu, Halpro, Halverson Project, Monogram, Ploesti, Teggie Ann, The Blue Streak
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks Spiros, @fiveten, I am really looking forward to trying it on a canopy and see how it works. I am hoping that it is a better solution than thin set or PVA glue. It has a nice medium thick viscosity. One of the guys in the club will put tape on each side of a seam line and run it down the seam, cure it and then sand it down. He says it makes a great seam filler that way.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

The bays do look great, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Result of this UV resin glue looks promising.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Main gear bays look very good!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Got knocked out by an hay fever attack this weekend, my allergies sometimes just make life miserable. Still managed to get a little more done. I started on the modifications of the nacelles and the scribing of the bottom of the wings. As I noted when I built "The Squaw" on the outboard engines the exhaust comes in short, the picture shows you just how much. Well this time I have some fairly close scale drawings and it turns out that the resin exhaust is closer to accurate than the Monogram kit. Lining the leading edge of the wing up with the drawing the inboard is pretty close and the shortened outboard lines up pretty nice too. I never expect any kit to be 100% accurate and have always thought the Monogram looked right. I don't think anyone will notice that it is shorter than the standard kit or that the kit is too long.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Hope you are better now, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Great progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

Each kit has its inaccuracy, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    I think in the end it will be barely visible as you said.
    Get well soon.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 months ago:

Trying to make progress everyday and still have fun with the build. I got all the little bits glued into the wheel wells and got them painted in the base Zinc Chromate color. I don't know if the wheel wells are worth it since unless you pick up the kit you cant see them, but damn they are nice. Since I know how the installation goes they are also a very easy install.

I also cut out the ends of the nacelles out to be open as they are supposed to be, so the the things are moving along. I feel like I am making decent progress in a for me, fairly timely manor. The cool thing is I am enjoying this build even more than "The Squaw".

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months ago:

Great, steady progress, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Looks superb so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months ago:

The wheel wells look amazing, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    You might display it on a glass plate so you are able to see the wells in the end.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Got where I was hoping this past weekend, I got the wings glued together. I also cut the nacelles to length and glued on the front from the resin conversion. I was told my B-24 "The Squaw" had alignment issues and which is why it did not place at the local model contest this weekend. I always try to focus on the Basic Build aspects so I am little taken aback by that, but I will check it out. I made it a point to make sure all the engine nacelle faces were parallel to each other so to not have any issues there, and if you look at the tail and wing alignment, even taped on it looks right.

Judges feed back may not always make you feel better, but if you pay attention to it, it can make you a better modeler.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking better and better, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Nothing wrong in listening to the judges, you definitely become a better modeler!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Look great, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    It is not always nice the way those judges give their feedback, but in most cases they just want you to become an even more better modeler. Let's just say, free advice.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Made the first cut with sanding the wing leading and trailing edges are basically done just a little finish sanding and then panel lines and rivets. The nacelles will take a few more fills and sandings before I scribe and add fasteners. Since I am getting closer with the wings, and have to build the fuselage I did some clean up and resizing of my turret interior for the rear. I printed up two sets and am extremely happy with how they turned out. Now to build it up and get to fit in the turret.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely on the wings and nacelles, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    Impressive 3D printing parts as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!