"Little Lambsy Divey" B-24 GB anyone?

Started by David Kight · 21 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Kight said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This is a Shelf of Doom rescue project originally started in the mid 1990s. I put a ton of weight in strategic areas so it wouldn't be a tail sitter, then dropped it on a concrete floor, crushing the nose and shattering the bombardiers plexiglass nose. I put it in the "parts kit" stash and kinda forgot about it. Somewhere about 2010, I realized I could repair the broken nose and get vacuform replacement clear parts and was back in business, but I was working for as much as 6 months at a time without a day off, and back on the shelf it went. I wound up getting a Super Scale decal set, and decided to try my hand at pre-shading, so far, it's sanding therapy while I wrestle with my F-111B project. And I have two new bottles of olive drab I'm itchin' to try in the air brush...

...Maybe I can finish both concurrently.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Also, I've had an Operation Tidalwave project in mind with enough Dave Klaus PYN-Up decals to build at least a dozen Ploesti attackers. So much plastic, so little time...

Sigh

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking great do far, my friend @davekight!
    What a collection of decals!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Good to see you try to save it from the shelf of doom, David @davekight
    It will be a nice looking Liberator once finished.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, y'all...

• Profile Photo

I've started work on the engines cowlings. I painted the cowls orange for the original kit markings that have since been lost. I had bought some resin superchargers, they look great, but they came to an abrupt end and left a gap so I cut the flared ends of the kit parts and tacked them on and ground out fairings so the cowls would fit. They were also about a scale foot thick. I filled gaps in the tail, and even made fairings with associated panel lines. Aside from finishing the engine installations, I'll need to mask the clear areas already fitted. I plan to insert the rest of the windows, and the canopy after painting.

More to come.

Dave

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Solid progress here, my friend @davekight!

• Profile Photo

Thanks again Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Nice work done on the cowlings and superchargers, David @davekight

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 8 months ago:

@davekight I have B24-M in my stash. I think I will build it in close future. What do You think about Academy Kit? Fuselage fits good?

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. @Lis The Academy kit is okay, the worst thing about it is there's a panel line on the spine near tail where it came up short. I just took a razor saw and made it match the rest. The only other option in this scale is the Hasegawa kit which is out of production and twice the price, if you can find one...

• Profile Photo

@davekight I build Hasegawa kit, and it is pritty good kit. Now I will try Academy, because they only have M version. How did You fit the halves of the nose sections?

• Profile Photo

As I recall, the fit of the separate fuselage parts wasn't very bad at all. I think I just aligned the parts, tacked them in place with a bit of glue, removed the tape, and pressed on...

...My main issue with this kit is the lower rear section of the engine nacelle. It's a little late to fix it on this one but I found some pics online to give an idea of how it should look:

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very interesting pictures, David @davekight
    Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo

@davekight So first I need to glue halves of nose part, and next fit into fuselage?

PS. This radiators You could buy as aftermarket part from quickboost.