baa baa black sheep / pappy

Started by bob mack · 6 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    bob mack said 5 years ago:

the man was a loser to the gills but super intelligent...one of the most gifted professionals on the job yet his life was a tragedy...i would love to sit and have a drink with him...his insights were exactly the way veterans talked when i was a kid and i felt like he was talking directly to me...sharp as a tack...quite the philosopher... a tragic sad story but heartwarming...will surprise you

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years ago:

I suspect it wouldn't be just one drink... given Pappy's reputation!
    I'll get a copy.

• Profile Photo

no doubt he was a hooch-hound David but not so much a carouser...though those WW11 guys as you know didn't just talk smack...all the ones i knew if you gave them any guff didn't talk back much they just came over and helped you up out of your chair...he quit for a year or two when he was in the prison camp even when he met up with his old squadron mates he stayed sober...then he got the medal and at the party afterwards or a bond raiser somebody said "what's this ginger ale" i thought you were a fighter pilot and three hours later he was off under a table...it probably hit him like a ton of bricks in a room loaded with "brass" and probably ended his career yet such a gifted pilot , instructor and battlefield commander by day or night...he walked out on many an "o" club tab but he's brutally honest, even when assessing himself..when he speaks i hear one of those skinny, grisold, deep voiced west virginia coal miners puffin on a choke...but he was worldwide and the boy could talk

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

I remember reading the book as a teenager... It was right around the same time as the TV series came out with Robert Conrad "acting" as Pappy. It was a decent read as far as I can remember.

Thanks for posting.

• Profile Photo

loved those corsairs but the sheep said it was phoney, he wasn't hardly beating up his men all the time, young boys straight out of college...watched it with my mom, great memory...thank you sir

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Have read this book. Great descriptions of the Orient and being a POW in Japan. Was a little disappointed with the lack of descriptions of the aircraft he flew or the aircraft he flew against. Sometimes it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but hey the guy lived through all of that.

Two books I'd recommend to fans of Pappy Boyington /"Baa Baa Black Sheep" would be Frank Dalton's "They Were Eagles" and Bruce Gambale's "Black Sheep One". Both are great reads about the squadron & Boyington. "They Were Eagles" really paints an accurate picture of what it was like to serve with VMF-214 under Boyington and does a really good job of describing the guys in the squadron. "Black Sheep One" focuses solely on Boyington's life but also goes into more detail about the TV show than most everything else I've seen.