Carrier Air War In Original WWII Color by Robert Lawson and Barrett Tillman

Started by Louis Gardner · 7 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

Please excuse my horrible pictures. It's the best I can do at the moment...

I have this book in the "library" ... and just like the title of the book states, it's a real beauty and covers some very interesting subjects. Some of the planes shown in this book are examples I have never even heard of... Did you know they actually built a twin engine plane using STEEL for construction ? Neither did I, but there's a color picture of one in this book.

Here’s a "Judas Goat" for our dear friend David. @dirtylittlefokker

This just happens to be a cool wartime color picture of the Enterprise. It's included among the many carrier photos.

Robert Lawson is known for his knowledge on US Naval Aviation, and Barrett Tillman is a very well known aviation author.

With a title page like this one, you can tell this isn't your ordinary book.

The book is loaded with large photos that cover the majority of a page, and on occasion, the photo will occupy the entire page. This beautiful air to air F4U picture is among my favorites.

here's another Judas Goat, but this time it's for another friend Jeff Bailey... @mikegolf

This is a color photo of a WW2 US Navy "Enlisted Air Pilot"... just like Jeff's Dad was.

The book covers some of the very colorful Pre War / Yellow Wings era planes.

The colors are amazing !

The book also has numerous photos showing various planes in a multitude of color schemes. Looking for a SBD wearing an ASW camouflage ? Look no further.

How about some factory fresh OS2U Kingfisher's ? These are on wheels and are being guarded by a Police Officer...

If you like some State side training unit photos, there's some in here too. Check out these "WAVES" pushing a SNJ trainer at Jacksonville Naval Air Station.

How about a Grumman Avenger training off the West Coast of the USA ? Here you go... This one's for you. Notice the yellow fuselage and wing codes...

This one is a Judas Goat for James B. Robinson @jamesb

Who just happens to fancy Curtiss Helldivers...

There are some great wartime photos as well. Safety First ! Notice the protective eyewear and hearing protection... actually the absence of it. One man is plugging one of his ears using a fingertip as the twin .030's are opened up on a "simulated" target, which is most likely the surface of the ocean.
    Typical of this era.

Here's another SBD color picture... There are lots of them in the book.

Interested in some end of the War Japanese planes ? How's this picture for size ?

One last picture for my dear friend David... Look at this beautiful SBD taking off from the deck of CV-6... Yes the Enterprise. The CV-6 one, not NC-1701.

This book is loaded with actual wartime experiences from veterans, with most of them being pilots or air crew members. It's a very good read, and is very hard to put down once you open it up.

You can find it available in the "bargain" section at various book stores on occasion. I paid half price for mine.

The best $16 dollars I ever paid for 178 pages of pure color aviation photos. Not a single "Black and White" to be found inside the covers...

Go grab one... you'll be glad you did !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Just. Give. Me. It.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

I thought you might enjoy this one... 🙂

There's a lot of diorama bait in this book.

• Profile Photo

You had me at Enterprise, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 5 years ago:

marvelous book

• Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years ago:

It carries (no pun intended) Barrett Tillman's name so that alone endorses it. It's a brilliant collection of photos although one should, as we all know, exercise care when 'interpreting' colours (yes, that's the correct English spelling lads!).

• Profile Photo

You tell ‘em, Nick.