Masters Of The Air - Donald L Miller

Started by Nick Newell · 5 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years ago:

Walter Boyne gives it the thumbs up so I decided to buy a copy (some of today's authors attempt to rewrite history which annoys me greatly!). Easy to read it gives what I think is a fair and concise overview of the USAAF's European campaign during WW2. If you want some really in-depth, heavy weight stuff, then you need to get hold of Roger Freeman's works on the subject!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Russell Jurco said 5 years ago:

Hi Nick,

I too hold Walter Boyne in high regard. Knowing he recommends this work definitely sways me in the direction of reading it. Opening up your included image of the cover, I discovered that David McCullough called this volume a "stunning achievement." That elevates Masters of the Air to a must read for me. Thanks for suggesting it.

Russ

• Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years ago:

Do Russ, it's well worth it. There was talk that HBO were going to base a mini-series on it a few years ago to compliment their two earlier series (Band of Brothers and Pacific). I may be wrong but I don't think anything's come of it which is a shame.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Nick, I believe that project is still on. The working title of ‘Masters of the Air’ has been changed to ‘The Mighy Eighth’ but I believe Hanks and Spielberg are still on board with this.

I just bought this (£3 on Amazon used) - thanks for the suggestion.

David.

• Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 4 years, 12 months ago:

Good news indeed David!

Sorry for what appears to be a tardy response - I don't receive regular updates to iModeller posts (my choice) as I find I'm easily distracted here given the superb content and the nice people who inhabit it!