One for The Tankers – A Queensland Museum Discovery Guide

Started by Paul Barber · 5 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years ago:

Most reference books I buy tend to come with a build in mind. This one is from the Queensland Museum and relates to a very special Tank. The only complete original German WW1 tank still in existence!

Not really the book I thought I'd start with here, but since I bought it today at The Museum (I was taking the kids to the brilliant NASA exhibition), I thought I'd add it.

Mephisto
    Technology, War and Remembrance
    Jeff Hopkins-Weiss and Gregory Czechura

The good news is that the actual beast 'Mephisto' an A7V Sturmpanzerwagen, now resides in the fairly recently opened ANZAC gallery in the museum.

The story goes that the only 20 A7V were made by Daimler Benz and 15 ended up on the Western Front during the German Spring offensive of March/ April 1918. This 30-tonner was part of the advance towards Amiens and was central to the capture of Villers-Bretonneux as Allied forces fell back. During the hostilities 'Mephisto' became bogged down in a shell crater and was abandoned by its crew. Months later as the 26th Battalion AIF - mostly Queenslanders - regained lost ground, it was retrieved, dragged behind Australian lines under cover of darkness, and ultimately shipped to Brisbane!

Anyway I am looking forward to reading the book, and getting to know 'Mephisto' a little better - meanwhile here is the eye-candy for the tankers out there!

And a couple of pictures from the exhibit for good measure.
    And yes, Meng do the A7V in 1/35th, and aftermarket decals for 'Mephisto' are available. More on that later, I am sure...

David, thanks for the invite! It is a great idea. Looking at some of the threads so far however, I think various online sellers might be about to empty my pockets! You just can't beat a good book!

• Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years ago:

To add to Paul's post, if anyone's interested in getting hold of a copy here's the URL to the softcover edition:

https://www.shop.qm.qld.gov.au/default/mephisto-technology-war-and-remembrance-paperback-edition-1723.html

There's a hard cover edition and both are in stock as of 18/04/2019.

Looks like a great reference source!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

I’m going to file for bankruptcy after starting this thread. These are truly amazing photos, Paul. The art on the book cover alone sells it to me.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years ago:

Thanks Nick, for sourcing the online route to this book! And David, I am getting into the book a little way, some nice WW1 background to start, based a lot around 'propaganda' postcards. Am slow because running into ANZAC Day I have chosen to read 'Monash's Masterpiece: The Battle of Le Hamel and the 93 minutes that changed the world.' Will add that later - another really great read from Peter Fitzsimons.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years ago:

I'll have to look into this one, too.

Thanks, David! @dirtylittlefokker