The battle of the airfields - Operation Bodenplatte 1 january 1945 by Norman Franks

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 2 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 5 years ago:

First of all thank you for inviting me David. Books have my interest as long as I can remember and bookshops are an equal risk to enter as modelshops are for me...

So this was a book I was looking for some time and was happy to get a very good second hand one.

It tells the story from those who where there and flew in action on both sides during Operation Bodenplatte on the 1st of January 1945. The surprise attacks by the German Luftwaffe on allied airfields in Holland and Belgium on that new years day. It discribes the actions which took place on all the allied airfields at Eindhoven, Volkel, Ursel, Grimbergen, Melsbroek and Deurne near Antwerp. Additional black and white photos and lists with all squadron involved on both sides, types of aircraft and commanders and squadronleaders. Also of interest is the list with allied fighter claims and all losses on the airfields. Getting my hands on this book started when I was building a Typhoon stationed at Eindhoven at the time.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Thanks for the post, Ferry. I completely agree, my bookshelves have more books on aircraft than my stash has models, that’s for sure. Appreciate this suggestion - can never have too many references.

@therefueler