The Big Circus by Pierre Clostermann

Started by Paulo Castro · 6 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paulo Castro said 5 years ago:

Hi all

Thanks for the invitation. I was hooked into modelling after reading a few war books when I was very young. One that impress me much at the time is this one wrote by the top WWII French Ace Pierre Clostermann. The most bizarre is, I'm originally from Brazil (now living in the beautiful city of Adelaide in South Australia), and Pierre Clostermann was born in Curitiba - Brazil. He was son of French Diplomat living in Brazil at the time. He grew up there and moved to United States to study when he was 11. One of the last interviews he gave to a Brazilian TV (in celebration of end of WWII) he did it speaking in fluent Portuguese that he learned from his childhood. Of course I have both his Spitfire MKV and the Tempest he flew in my model collection.

Cheers

Paulo

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 5 years ago:

fabulous book...hooked me 1964 and fabulous photos inside...i was about 12...he was pretty arrogant though

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years ago:

One of my favourite air books and one of the best wwii air books. I suspect Clostermann was not an easy character to get on with.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Klin said 5 years ago:

This is indeed a "classic". The memories of Clostermann describe both the beauty of flying powerful machines high in the sky but also the cruelty of war with death lurking from everywhere. A good read, very inspirational for modellers!

• Profile Photo
    Russell Jurco said 5 years ago:

Also known as The Big Show, this is one of the best in my opinion. I found his summation very troubling because it is most likely true.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Klin said 5 years ago:

Agree.
    The book is full of other nontrivial thoughts and counter-intuitive facts.
    For example, I was surprised by the anger and disappointment that Clostermann and co-pilots express once they are informed about the end of the war…