The Tank Factory by William Suttie

Started by Neil Scarbro · 4 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Neil Scarbro said 5 years ago:

The book is about the British Military Vehicle Development and Chobham Establishment in Surrey ,England . The book covers the establishment from 1942 till 2004 through the war years trials on captured vehicles like the Tiger and Panzer Four and after the war on the Panther tanks of which they had build in Germany then shipped over to the UK.

It's a very interesting book covering a lot of subjects in the vehicles used by the British Army and other countries along with little snaps of information that are not know to the general public , like during the Korea war the Centurion tank could get to places that light tanks could not get to and how accurate the 20 Pdr gun was by targeting pillbox observation slots on the other side of the valley. Covering not just AFVs but wheeled vehicles as well . It's a very good read , it's one of those books you can dip in and find something new each time.

Good reading Gents

Published by The History Press,

http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk

ISBN : 978 0 7509 6122 6

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Many tanks, Neil.

That is for sure on the Amazon ‘wish list’. I like these ‘dipping into’ books. Should meet some old friends in there, too.

• Profile Photo
    Neil Scarbro said 5 years ago:

Hi David,
    It's a bit of a gold mine , there are so many examples of different vehicles have you heard of a FV 431 before ? It was a Ammo vehicle intended for use with the Abbot SPG but, lost out to the Stalwart and like they say " the rest is history" .

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

This is one I’ll definitely keep an eye out for ! It’s got a lot going for it. Thanks!