Another try: Rescuing an adult SoD- Revell/Monogram Do.217 E

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 71 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Ok, so this is take 2 for this topic. My first go was a fiasco simply because nothing shows and it’s a non editable post, bizarre at least.

I’ve had this kit for the past 18 years (hence the adult age) at least according to Scalemates, that states it was launched back in 2001.
    I vividly recall my enthusiasm about it, it was a glorious plan to “superdetail” this bomber. Bought the then state of the art AM accessory, Verlinden set and planned to scratch a bit more the overall good details of the cockpit plastic

As it was I read in one of the most prestigious modeling magazines that this set contained a totally spurious PE detail meant to represent the Dornier’s dropped flaps. Well this (and probably some other things along) curbed my enthusiasm about buiding her, and back to the box it went, staying put for the past 17 years at least, resisting 2 house moves in that meantime.

So when TC challlenged us to build a Shelf Queen, this one was my first choice, and boy do I have plenty to choose.
    Here’s what was inside the box:

1- main cockpit pasts painted- really good shapes here, a true testimony of how good late Monogram was in their mounding.

2 - some work in the glasshouse

3- general view of contents- notice the already carved areas for the flap inserts

4- no idea where or when did I purchased this resin set, but they sure look the part, so there’s hope for those holes

5- lots of sink holes in these parts. That'swhere I’ll resume work. Hope all the kits parts are still inside this box

Let’s see how it goes, thankfully I have a full year to build this little beast

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Great entry, Pedro @holzhamer! Got the same kit too, hoping to build it someday!
    Your build will definitely be used as reference!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten
    Thank you Spiros my friend! Now I need to find a couple of magazines I have which I bought back then to serve as info, especially for the interiors. I’ll gladly share some photos of them should you want.
    Had another look at thing in the box and found an instruction booklet for a box I had no recollection of having

and inside that booklet were the kit decals
    They don’t look too well preserved now do they?
    We all know Revell decals from early millennium were not that great and this one is no exception- the upper wing crosses are a complete bull***

So thank god I also purchased this Montex mask set

Though I will not be painting any of the planes depicted by Revell, these masks will be very helpful to paint the national insignias (even Montex has those upper wing crosses wrong! They must have simply copied those in Revell decals).
    I hope that I can salvage at least some of the stencils presented in the decal sheet as there is no masking for them...

• Profile Photo

Hmmmmm,time was not extremely gentle with those decals, my friend @holzhamer...
    I'll have to check mine, too!
    It would ber super if you shared any pic info on the Do!
    Thanks in advance!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

This looks like a great project. Not the easiest kit to get a good result from (in my experience) but the aftermarket stuff you have should go a ways there.

For some reason, Try #1 is non-editable to me as admin (unless someone knows different).

• Profile Photo

Even more weird than I thought Tom. I don’t know who are the Devs nowadays, just to drop them a line and ask’em to delete it.
    About your past experience building this one, do you recall any particularly troublesome part or so Tom? I’d appreciate any heads up 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@holzhamer - my memory is fit is so-so and so is detail. There's nothing that's a huge problem, Like I said, the aftermarket will deal with the "so-so" part.

• Profile Photo

Thanks! I was truly interested about the fit of parts, have a memory about the wing assembly being a bit troublesome according to a fellow modeler.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hey there Pedro and everybody. Maybe we ought to start a group build just for this kit. I also have one in my stash only it's the ProModeler 2000 release. Probably the exact same kit. Sure is bigger than I remembered.

Were these original Revell-Monogram molds? I thought they had some origin with Trimaster?
    Anybody know?

• Profile Photo

Hi Erik!
    Not Trimaster, this kit comes from Monogram, though here in Europe it was issued by Revell. Monogram was never easy to find at least here in Portugal.
    As for the GB idea, I’m building it of course but I also feel I’m already too much involved in other GB projects. Not sure how other people feel on this.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hi Pedro -
    I wasn't 100% serious but I found it interesting that several involved in this build have this kit in their stash. And I know exactly what you mean with all these models we committed to build. Have fun with this one. I will be following along..

• Profile Photo

I dug up from my "library source" this old but gold copy of Replic, a French magazine that is to me simply the best model magazine ever.
    This came in their 2001 February edition and it's pure gold to anyone who wants to detail a bit more his/her Do. 217 E

My model will be one of these two illustrated here, and for each there are a few pictures available even in the web, and they prove that these drawings are actually quite accurate

Hope this will help anyone else who has interest in building this kit

• Profile Photo

Count me in, as I have the same kit to build, Pedro @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo

While preparing to resume serious work on the kit, I managed to trace a few missing parts elsewhere outside the box, but unfortunately the back piece of the spinners (which also have the cooling fans of the BMW 801 engine) are no where to be found.

Since I have a few 190 kits still in the box (trimester and Hasegawa kits) I know that I can get those fans replaced, but the back part of the spinner I’m not that sure. The only AM I found online that replaces the kit parts is a long OOP Cutting Edge set.

However these Dornier spinners look very similar to those used on the A-1/2/3 versions of the FW.190.

If anyone has any idea or info I’d appreciate the help. Thanks!

• Profile Photo

Well I found out that the back plate of Eduard’s 190s fits nicely on the kit spinner, plus these also come with the fan moulded jointly 🙂

All good to go I guess