Another try: Rescuing an adult SoD- Revell/Monogram Do.217 E

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 71 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

All good to go looks like, Pedro @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

My first work was focused on the wheel bays, where some sink holes affected the good moulded structure the kit has in those parts. Some mr surfacer and some tiny bits of vergreen strips got the whole thing more presentable.

02 painted and weathered

Also the tail wheel pit done

Moving forwards, the cockpit was already painted in the expectable 66, so my first move was to apply a good oil wash to pop the raised details.

This not only brings depth but helps a lot to highlight later on with some dry brush and to paint the several knobs, cables and handles.

On my initial work, 20 years ago, I drilled some parts of this structure and added some resin ammo boxes, reason being is that the original plastic parts came with MG15 ammo drum magazines, while most 217E had the belt feed MG81 as main onboard weapons.

Also replaced the plastic parts concerning the radios (back of the cockpit) and placed resin ones (Aires stuff if memory serves me).

More work on the cockpit will follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great, Pedro @holzhamer!
    I like your work to bring out the details in the landing gear area and cockpit. I have never used oils for deepening the impression of details. I might try...

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great work, great movie theatre here, bought the ticket! 😉

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Spiros, even though today we have ready to use panel washes, which are generally fine products, I still prefer to mix artist oils to do washes and other things. Their only issue is a rather long drying time (overnight dry is usually enough). Try them one day, you will be pleased once you master their use. Just make sure you gloss the painted surfaces before applying them

• Profile Photo

Thanks Michel 😉 good to have you along

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro @holzhamer. I will definitely give them a go!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

@holzhamer - you're doing some spectacular work on this save. The night bomber schemes you're considering will look good. I did one of these 20 years ago from a photo in Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings - the lower surfaces were black, the upper surface was RLM 75 with an overall "scribble" of RLM 76. It looked pretty good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom! I feel that the scheme I’ve chosen is pretty spectacular, just hope I can pull it off unembarrassed 🙂

Been working steadily around the cockpit, that huge tub where all 4 crew members took position. It’s obviously one of the most interesting and eye catching part of the kit, so all work I put there is worthy.

Still a lot of gray but some splash of other colors will begin soon.
    Notice some Airscale placard I added according to photo references.
    There are a lot of images available for the inside of the cockpit but strangely hardly any shows the hand held MGs. I am struggling to find evidence of where the turret MG 81 stores it’s ammo for instance.

Scratchmade the detail of the access ladder on the lower entry of the cockpit

Some other details are also taking shape

Including the whole UC array

And the IP, which is quite good as it comes as you can see. Only one detail needs to be reshaped, and I will post that when it’s done
    Nothing you see here is comoleted but I’m getting there... thanks for watching

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking fantastic! I have a 1/72 217 that I had been toying starting up sometime soon - I may have to crack the box on it after a couple more 109s are underway...but I'm not quite ready to commit. I do love the details and paint work - the shading and highlighting in the cockpit area is excellent!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, creating shades and lights is one of the painting parts I like most and cockpits are the best part of an airplane to use that technique.
    I assume you have the old but still very nice Italeri kit in 1/72, no? Built that one long ago, all black and brush. In capable hands like yours that kit can be made into a real gem

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 2 months ago:

That interior work looks great. It will really stand out when you close it all out, so much is visible through the green house.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Thank you for starting this WIP journal. I just finished reading it from the very start to where you are now. You have made some good progress, and I especially like how you have accented the RLM 66 cockpit and the RLM 02 on the interior of the nacelles using oils. This is a technique I should try. The end results look very nice indeed, and you seem to have mastered it well.

Like some of the others on here have stated, I also have this same kit in the stash. Mine is the Revell / Monogram Pro Modeler Do-217E-5 version.

I just pulled the box down and took a really good close look at it. This is a very nice kit ! Mine has a copyright on both the instructions and the decals with the year being 2000.

The fuselage assembly is not the standard right and left halves, but instead has a large single upper section that also included the upper center section of the wing. As a bonus, it comes with a Henschel HS-293A missile for a weapon located under one of the wings.

The instructions show both of the planes the kit decals are provided for are from II / KG100, Bay of Biscay, August, 1943... One plane has a regular splinter scheme, while the other has Wellenmuster squiggles over that. I don't have anything aftermarket for my kit, and thankfully the decals still look to be in good shape. When I build it I will most likely go with "Rot B" since it has the Wellenmuster scheme. You mentioned the kit decals were not correct ? Is this true for the one I have too ? Now you have me curious...

This will be an invaluable aid when it comes time to start mine... I know that I mentioned starting a Luftwaffe group build as a future project, but with all of these wonderful planes being built by you and our friend Erik, @airbum
    I don't know how much longer I can hold off ... 😉

Please keep up the fantastic work my friend.

• Profile Photo

Your work is absolutely amazing, Pedro @holzhamer!

I keep on looking at all those cockpit details (and at the landing gear, as well)! You are so right about how pronounced the cockpit area is at this one and other Luftwaffe types, as well. Every extra detail there is totally evident and adds a lot to the looks.

Looking forward to it, as well as to the start of our friend's Louis @lgardner Luftwaffe GB!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

What an amazing rescue Pedro! You really makes this old canvas come back to life.