Another try: Rescuing an adult SoD- Revell/Monogram Do.217 E

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 71 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Outstanding!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 1 month ago:

With the few bench time available these past week days I dedicated myself to milliput and try to recreate some more dinâmica spent ammo sleeves. It’s a process that takes me back to my childhood plays with plasticine ahah

Also cut and cleaned to my best the resin flaps

They look good at a distance but upclose you can see an old fashion cottage product, lots of mould imperfections and bubbles everywhere. Still the only acceptable game in town if you want to add flaps, scratch building aside. I primed some parts with ammo One Shot Primer in white but frankly I don’t like this stuff, so I’m going for Mr surface 1500 next, and then 02 all over

• Profile Photo

Perdro: I have to say the few Ammo products I've purchased, I have not particularly liked. I just picked up a jar of Mr. PRIMER Surfacer 1000 by Mr. Hobby for a test spray. This is a new item to me as I have always used the regular Mr. Surfacer. This stuff looks slightly different. Ever tried this?

Best of luck on those flaps! The ammo tubes look great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking great indeed, my friend @holzhamer!
    Those flaps will look - ok, from a slight distance - amazing!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nothing like a nice trip down memory lane 🙂

As our friend Spiros @fiveten remarked they look nice at a distance those cottageindustry resin parts. Thanks for taking the time to share this one - I would like to build one myself, but time. . . . I shall enjoy your build instead Pedro @holzhamer.

• Profile Photo

Eric- no I’ve never tried Mr Primer, in fact I wasn’t even aware of its existence till you mention it. From what’s available out there it seems very much like Mr Surfacer.
    Please let me know your opinion about it once you try it ok?

@fiveten
    @airbum
    I guess we all know the feeling about certain resin products from a decade or more ago. Looks good until you have a closer look 🙂 it basically needs some prep work unlike most new resin stuff. Technology has really improved a lot since then

• Profile Photo

Small installment, but I guess some areas are so fiddle that no sense in rush if I want to get things right.

Main canopy painted and the A-stand turret is almost completed, here put in place just for photo purpose because it will be one of the last things to be added in the build

After careful look of the pic if thebplane I want to depict, it became apparent that it had ballon cutters on the frontal glass house, so I added some thin plastic strips

The engine nancelles are completed and await to be placed in its place. The propellers are a mix of everything I had- the nose is from the kit, backplate and fan from stash surplus and the blades from Cutting Edge resin set.

I guess I got the best of all 3 worlds

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great "Frankenprop" @holzhamer. Indeed the resin from before the use of vacuumchambers can be a challenge, with all their trapped air. Fortunately every serious AM resin maker uses a vacuumchamber, making life a lot easier for the builder.

• Profile Photo

@airbum Erik, you are quite right in your statement. Nowadays it seems every resin set we see in reviews or else are faultless, no air bubbles or short stop pieces. I praise the quality of some even though their prices are sometimes as high as the kit they are meant to be used in.

The Cutting Edge set is quite good despite its age, unlike those flaps (which I believe are a lot newer than the CE set) that are a pain to prep. Still I have them completed, just need to weather them before posting some pics. Thanks for the feedback

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice canopy, with the extra balloon cutters, my friend @holzhamer!
    The prop kitbashing result is excellent!
    I agree with our friend @airbum 's and your comments about resins.

• Profile Photo

All the comments about resins ring true. There was a time, however, when Cutting Edge really was. Now outfits like Barracudacast etc are state of the art. You mentioned high prices sometimes exceeding the kit price -that’s why I boycott Aires products.

By the way, I’m really sold on Mr.Surfacer Primer 1000.

Your 217 is progressing excellently.