Kinetic 1/48 Mirage 2000B/D/N

Started by Wes Pennest · 37 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Kinetic, Mirage, mirage 2000N
  • Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Tom, as much as I find the Pucara an appealing airframe, I'm going to sit back and wait a few years for people to do the full autopsy on the new Kinetic kit before I consider spending money on it.

• Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Spiros, I don't think I'm going to try to fabricate replacement HUDs, but I will note that when I try my hand at the Eduard / Heller kit. That won't be for a while, though! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Little nibbles of work here and there today, where upon closer examination I found the forward windscreen does not have a frame for the bottom of the glass, so the sprue attachment point is on the glass itself. This is only the case in the B/D/N kit; the C/5 kit has the bottom sill molded into place. The clear separator between the forward canopy and the rear canopy also exhibits this problem, along with some curious "frosting" along one of these bottom edges. Ugh.

Some taped-together test-fitting of the Aires engine show that it looks to be an almost-perfect drop fit, so I think i'll turn my attention towards that for the next couple of days.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Pity about the canopies molding decision, Wes.
    Cannot recall the Heller way..

• Profile Photo

A small update: the syh@rt decals arrived today, so I have all the components in one place. The primer coat is curing and I'm snowed in, so I have a feeling tomorrow will see a lot of work on the Mirage.

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to it, Wes.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I'm sure you're going to beat this thing, and you've chosen a final scheme that will hide all kinds of secrets and look great to boot.

• Profile Photo

Behold! Primary painting and the first gloss coats are down! I can't do much about the slightly grainy surface yet, but this is an acceptable base for the decals to sit on and there will be many more coats of gloss on top of this.
    You'll get shots of the underside tomorrow because while I was moving it around I knocked the refueling probe off. Taking it as a sign that my butterfingers are going to get me into trouble, I put it down and walked away from it. So far, so good!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 2 months ago:

This kit looks like a rough one all around. Your tenacity is paying off.

• Profile Photo

I said that paint scheme would hide all, and it definitely does. Good "eye candy."

• Profile Photo

Great scheme rendition, Wes!
    Suits the Mirage2000!

• Profile Photo

The Syhart decals give you numbered masks for the base paint scheme, along with a placement scheme. Nice! They're very easy to work with the adhesive isn't aggressively sticky.

The decals are also numbered and the instructions give you a suggested placement order, which I'm following.

This shot is actually three decals carefully fitted together. The decals are actually pretty strong and they react well to full strength solvaset. I've tacked the control surfaces on with tiny drops of superglue to aid the placement of the decals. Once they're down, I'll glue them into place at the correct angle.

A lot more decals to go, but the outlook is bright!

• Profile Photo

This is a spectacular decal job, Wes.
    This is a beautiful Mirage2000!

• Profile Photo

This is looking great Wes.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Your Mirage WIP is also a very detailed build review of kit itself. A dog of a kit it seems, shame. On the bright side your perseverance paid off because itโ€™s looking really fancy, very eye catching paint work