Westland Wyvern – 1/48 Classic Airframes - FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 112 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Really great steps, my friend @eb801!
    This beauty comes closer and closer to the finish line!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Starting to look like it wants to do business!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years ago:

CHECKERED FLAG AHEAD!
    Here's a photo of the my latest progress. Next up is a bit of weathering and exhaust stains, fixing a few things that only I will notice and attaching the spinner. Almost there! I'll be wrapping this up in a day or two.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years ago:

Beauty. This is the stage I love getting to

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@eb801 - Love it!

• Profile Photo

Already spectacular, my friend @eb801!
    Crying to have its so prominent prop attached!

• Profile Photo

DECAL QUESTION
    All the Wvyern models of 278 that I've seen posted online all have a decal on the starboard side showing a cartoon mascot of the 813 Naval Air Squadron riding atop a bomb. However the only photograph I've been able to find of the starboard side of this aircraft doesn't show any fuselage art at all. That’s why I decided to omit it. Anyone have any ideas about this?

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years ago:

Almost missed this thread, looks fabulous this bird! @eb801

• Profile Photo

I more or less did the same net research you did, my friend @eb801 and I could not find evidence of the cartoon applied onto the "278". The fact that most (if not all) models of "278" featured at the net sport the cartoon, does not by default mean that this is correct! The fact that a pic exists, depicting the "278" without it, menas that if you do not apply it, your model will definitely be correct! Providing a 813NAS cartoon and wanting you to apply it onto the 278, does not mean that Trumpeter is by default correct! Of course, almost all modelers will be tempted to use it, that might being the explanation of all models seen at the net carry it.

Bottom line: based on the existing evidence, should I build the "278", I would suppress my big temptation and would not use it. But if you decide to use it, you may assume it had been applied at a later time...

Looking forward to see this beauty crossing the finish line!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, just what I wanted to hear. Soon I will be attaching that big red spinner and crossing the finish line minus that questionable decal.

• Profile Photo

FINISHED AT LAST!]
    Well, here it is. I might add just a little more dirt foot prints on the wing and a bit o fading on the leading edges.

Thanks to all who helped me along the way, particularly TC for the decals and George H. for reference materials.

Next stop - the photo booth

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

Really nice result!

• Profile Photo

Yep, this is an amazing result, my friend @eb801!
    A challenging kit if a very beautiful, iconic plane; not often seen built.
    Your build thread was an absolute joy to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years ago:

A STUNNING rendition of one of my favourite RN aircraft. Well done Eric!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Kirwan said 3 years ago:

Eric
    Thats a very sleek looking Wyvern. Congratulations and the fact that this is the CA kit and not the Trumpeter makes it all the more impressive. Also one can not go wrong with the FAA colour scheme as it does justice to the lines of the aircraft.

BTW I have the Dynavector kit in the stash and some Berna (?) aftermarket decals including 278. I grew up reading Dennis the Menace, the cartoon figure riding the bomb and I will be putting him on there ! Trumpeter lifted this from artwork featured in Scale Aviation Modeller International (January 2003) article . In the R. Caruana article there are no photos to confirm the artwork which features 270 and not 278 with the Dennis cartoon. Either way Dennis rules and thanks for sharing.