B-29 SUPERFORTRESS

Started by paul l johnson · 16 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    paul l johnson said 9 years, 12 months ago:

I JUST HAVE A QUESTION TOO ASK IM HALF WAY THRU MY 1/48 SCALE BOMBER..MY QUESTION IS, WHY IS THERE 2 SETS OF PROPELLERS,,THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY NOTHING,,COULD SOMEONE BE SO KIND AND EXPLAIN WHY THERE ARE 2 SETS THANK YOU

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Paul , the B29 I am building is an early one and for that I am using the propellers with the round headed hubs , as I understand it the props with the more pointed hubs is for a later Korean war aircraft.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Yes Paul, the props that Neil is talking about are the Hamilton Standards which were far more common then the other style which are Curtiss Electrics (which have the pointy domes and cuffs on the blades). (It wasn't until this release that you even had a choice! You had to use the Curtiss types or make your own!) I've included photos of both types, if you have photos of your particular aircraft, use what looks appropriate. (Some of the prototypes even had HUGE three bladed props. Would make an interesting build.) If you like changing things up you could glue the prop shafts into the engines. Then you can simply place whichever propeller you want on the model and change them whenever you want! (This also lets you remove them for transport so they don't get broken! I do it on 99% of my prop planes!) Neil and I are both working on B-29s, so welcome to the club! (We should try to post them at the same time!)

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hey Josh, hows it hanging pal ?got any pictures to share of early B29's ?OD /Grey especially ,I've only been able to find a couple ,I'd love to see the three bladed prop.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Going good. Just Finished an ancient C-130 but now all work has to stop for the D-Day build! Monogram just re-released the C-47 so that's what I'm entering. (Should go fairly quickly. I'm doing a little write up on it later today.) I'll try and scan some early B-29 pics from the Detail and Scale book, but till then here's a couple. The silver areas on the OD plane are where the deicer boots used to be. Also notice how much bigger the three bladed prop is, the blades almost touch the ground!

• Profile Photo

Thank's Josh,I've never seen that picture of a three bladed 29 before,your right a heavy landing could easily see the tips of those props touch the deck and notice the glazed in radio loop,my finished build should look a bit like the other pic.
    Thanks ,N.

• Profile Photo

Totally missed the radio loop! I don't think there's a picture of that even in the D&S book! Also notice how shiny it is! Oooh!

• Profile Photo
    paul l johnson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Neil
    thank you so much for the info,,i did see the pics that josh had of the props,,they look as though they have glossy look too thim

• Profile Photo

thank you Josh,,awesome picks i should have some picks to post soon, and thank you so much for the info

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

About the props Paul. I have seen pictures of some that were glossy. I'd imagine that's the most efficient in terms of aerodynamics, but doesn't do a thing for keeping glare out of your eyes. Most I've seen are a satin finish. I have a trick I use to get what I think looks pretty good. (We're talkin' high tech stuff here now!) I'll paint them flat black and after they're dry I'll rub them between my oily fingers. I puts a nice sheen on them that looks about right!

Can't wait to see your finished bird! I also like the one you have in the photo for the topic. If it's the same one I've seen elsewhere on the interwebs it's VERY shiny with great tonal variations!

By the way, you should totally search the web for a copy of the Detail and Scale book. I've had mine since I was little and need to find volume two! There are a lot of interesting tidbits on experimental stuff they did with armament that would make an unusual model. Ever see a B-29 with boobs? Well then, just check out the old Emerson barbettes! (This plane also had two Martin turrets on top and two Sperrys in the belly instead of remote turrets.)

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

hey Josh
    my b-29 is going to be the humpin honey ,,posting picks on here soon

• Profile Photo

me again josh,,im going to try your trick,,when i do it can i still apply the decals on to the props

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

You bet! They might take a little micro sol or something to keep from silvering. The props get smooth, but the decals won't stick like they would to a gloss black. Humpin' Honey is also the one I'm doing! (I'd rather do "Thumper" again as I've built two already and like the nose art, but that wasn't an option in this kit.)

• Profile Photo

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF MY B-29

• Profile Photo

MORE PICS

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.