1/48 Trumpeter Sea Hornet NF.21 FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 115 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I've been side tracked for the last couple of weeks by a welcome visit from my daughter and her husband who live in Central America, so not much time for modeling until now. I carved out the shell ejection slots that are clearly marked on the lower fuselage and attached the main wing roots and narcelles. Fit was quite good but I needed a little filler here and there.

• Profile Photo

After spending hours correcting the wing ailerons and the elevator flaps I finally got around to gluing the tail and tailplanes in place. Now it's starting to look like a Hornet at last.

• Profile Photo

Next up is correcting the rear formation lights on the outer tips of the wings. Here's a photo of the port wing Hornet rear light as it's supposed to be.

• Profile Photo

And here's what Trumpeter came up with plus they got the wing ailerons all wrong.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I love all these small or not so small improvements, Eric @eb801!
    A lot of quality work is usually hidden behind them, but the end result makes "other" model examples look like toys.
    Well done so far! You are doing a really great job!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I'm just now joining your build, Eric (@eb801). I am really enjoying your solutions to the problems presented by this kit and I am looking forward to seeing the model in paint and decals.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

"Close but no Cigar". Great corrective action on this kit Eric!

• Profile Photo

Using some solid styrene tubing with drilled out holes for the bulbs, here are the corrected rear tube lights at the end of each wing. I still have to sand and fine tune them.

• Profile Photo

Speaking of wing folds, here's what the wingfold mechanisms look like on the real deal above.

• Profile Photo

Here's Trumpeter's way of representing this set up. Talk about flimsy and easy to break off! But it gets the idea across I guess. I’m going to attach these guys at the very, very end of this build.

• Profile Photo

Masked and ready to head off to the paint shop pretty soon! I already painted the props and wheels and set them aside.

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 3 years, 5 months ago:

If you think that Sea Hornet kit wing fold is a work of fiction- check out the Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-4!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Spot by spot improvents wise, your Sea Hornet is transformed into a jewel Eric @eb801!
    What an essential departure from the "off" Trumpeter kit!
    Nice improvements all-around!
    Looking forward to your painting!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

An amazing bit of work Eric. That collection of scrap plastic actually looks like a model. A triumph of talent and skill and stubbornness over a kit.

• Profile Photo

Dan - I'm afraid to look at another wingfold kit by Trumpeter. I have their 1/32nd TBM-3 Advenger with a an attachment slightly better than the Hornet's so I can imagine how goofy the F4U wingfold must be.