1/48 Trumpeter Vampire FB Mk 9

Started by George R Blair Jr · 14 · 3 years ago · 1/48, RAF Cranwell, Trumpeter, Vampire FB Mk 9
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

All of you who are building really cool Vampires have made me want to build one also. I checked out my stash and found an old 1/48 Hobbycraft Mk 1, a 1/72 Airfix TT.1, and a 1/48 Trumpeter FB Mk 9. I was really interested in building something in 1/48, so I took a vote and decided on the Trumpeter kit.

I found I also had a set of canopy masks and photoetch for the plane, as well as a set of decals. The decals are by Eurodecals, which are sold by the Fantasy Printshop. Choosing the paint scheme was relatively easy. In the 1980s, I got a call from the Air Force Personnel Center, who offered me an exchange tour as an instructor at RAF Cranwell. I was an instructor pilot in C-141s at the time, and Airlift Command refused to release me to go to this dream job. So this paint scheme reminds me of this missed opportunity. The decal sheet has the markings for a Mk 9 used at RAF Cranwell in the 1960s. Another great selling point for this paint scheme is that there is some fluorescent orange involved...Sold!

I hope to start this build soon. I am currently building a Beaufighter in the Work in Progress group, but you all have convinced me that nothing evil will happen if I work on two at once. Or like Erik (@airbum) and Spiros (@fiveten), who build 6 or 7 at once. During my dating years I never dated more than one woman at a time, because I just like to keep things simple. Modeling has always been the same, so this can be an experiment to be sure I don't go blind or something.

Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a package George @gblair:
    A nice subject, a nice kit, a beautiful decal sheet, PE and masks...
    Simply great!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Great choice George (@gblair) It is going to look really cool with the camo/Day glo combo.
    Now those dating years. . . (suffice it to say that it is a real bommer when one date is delayed due to weather and gets to leave on the same plane as the next one is coming in with - well Greenland had its challenges)

I will be strapped in here to see your "whatif" sort of build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Erik (@airbum).

• Profile Photo

After some research, I have decided to change this build a little. Spiros (@fiveten), who has been doing some pathfinding with his Vampire build, let me know about the defining characteristic of a Mark 9. It turns out that the Mark 9 has asymmetric engine inlets. The right engine inlet is about 8 inches longer that the left because it houses an air conditioner. So, I go check my Trumpeter Mark 9 and the engine inlets are exactly the same on both sides of the plane. Trumpeter got it wrong.

I did a little research, and found that the Mark 9 was considered a "tropicalized" version of the Mark 5, and apparently the only external difference between the two is the air conditioner housing in the extended right engine intake. So, this opens up a new choice. I could scratchbuild the missing inlet extension, or I could build this kit as a Mark 5. While it would be relatively easy to build the missing extension, I decided I would build this kit as a Mark 5.

The decal sheet that I planned to use has several Mark 5s on the sheet, so I have chosen to build a plane from the South African Air Force. It still has some high viz panels, so that box is checked. The only problem is that the plane is natural metal, and I have never built a model that is all natural metal. I need to break the ice sometime, so hopefully this will turn out OK. I got started on the cockpit today. Photos will follow soon. Everyone stay safe.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Very cool choice, George, looking forward to following your build. If you need any more info on building the Trumpeter kit have a look under "V" on the A to Z search on this site, you should a couple of posts there with useful tips.

• Profile Photo

Wow, George @gblair! NMF!
    I love your chosen subject, SAAF schemes are so cool!
    With the Day-Glo orange, your Mk.5 looks will be supreb!
    Good luck on your first NMF, and glad you will join the NMF Club!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George (@chinesegeorge) and Spiros (@fiveten). I will be sure to search out the posts, George. I can always used some extra help. I made a raid on my local hobby store today, Spiros, and got a selection of Alclad II for the NMF. Time to give it a try.

Got to work on the Vampire. You start with building the nose wheel well, part of which extends into the floor of the cockpit. The nose wheel well is made up of 6 or 7 parts, which seemed a little complex for the assembly. I also assembled the nose wheel while I was at it.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Good to hear that you got the Alclad, George @gblair!
    Have never used it (as I've told you I am a Humbrol 11 enamel guy...), but I've heard good opinions about it.
    The nos wheel well seems a complicated assy, but the looks are light years ahead of my Hobbycraft Vampire wheel well, not to mention the nonexisting well of the Venom!
    Fingers crossed for your first Alclad attempt!

• Profile Photo

Very good George. Happy that you keep challenging your skills and now pursuing a NMF plane.

The massive rubber nosewheel look right.

• Profile Photo

Having decided to build a South African Air Force Mk 5, I was looking at some photos of these Vampires that I dug up with Google. I noticed that there was a lack difference in color and tone between the various panels. In fact, the entire plane looked monotone, which I had never seen on a natural metal plane. I have done some digging and I believe the planes may have been painted using "High Speed Silver/Aluminum" rather than being natural metal. This would explain why the finish is so monotone. I have found out that Alclad has a "High Speed Silver/Aluminum" and I have ordered a bottle. Well, onward and upward.

Cheers, and stay safe.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Indeed, one could discover many overall "silver" painted aircraft at that time period, George @gblair,
    I assume that they were painted like this, in order to protect the bare metal, but ,being it "high speed" paint, to retain the aerodynamically beneficial sleekness of the bare metal?

• Profile Photo

With the very nature of the build, highspeed silver would make perfect sense George. After a few years in service many jets of this era were painted to ease maintenance, as a NMF will be prone to corrosion when the plane is left to the elements.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Did you find the time to set up a new mancave at your new house yet George? No pressure, important stuff have priority so just stirring the pot here 🙂