Cimber Air DH104 Dove, Amodel, 1/72

Started by Erik Gjørup · 70 · 2 years ago · 1/72, airbum, cimber air, de Havilland, DH100GB, Dove, Haldværk, Stauning
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

This is what I call "attention to detail", my friend @airbum!
    Your interior build up starts to motivate me to try busying up my Otter's cargo area emptiness...
    By the way, what is this hole for under the belly, between the wing roots? I don't believe it to be a sink mark?
    Your Dove is slowly, but qualitatively proceeding!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Coming along nicely Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten), the hole is the mother of all sinkmarks! This limoted edition is just that in so many ways, but the basic shape is OK, so that is not bad at all I guess.
    Thank you Allan (@kalamazoo).
    I just decided to add some AM wheels today - they will get posted in due course.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik- if that hole is a sinkmark then indeed it really is the mother of all that I’ve ever seen but I suspect that’s the least of your worries with the limitations of this kit. But that’s what makes it a fun challenge, right? You’re off to a great start! Certainly quite a departure from all those 109’s.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 4 months ago:

“That’s no sink mark...”
    -someone, probably

• Profile Photo

Eric (@eb801), that is indeed the worst one I've ever seen, but it is because the wing is made without trees - just one large pour-hole for the resin on the rear of the part!

Jordyn (@1corsair64), great that you have found your way around the groups - welcome aboard (I think some of your post has been eaten?)

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Erik. Nope, nothing was eaten. It was a parody of the quote “That’s no moon.” From Star Wars.

• Profile Photo

aahhhh (de havilland) may the 4th be with you Jordyn (@1corsair64)!

• Profile Photo

Almost Christmas?

A package arrived today!

And amongst the goodies I found two sets of resin wheels – for Vampires.

I have been looking at the wheels on the Dove, and they are not really all that nice.

So I had a search for resin replacements, and found none. I did find quite a lot for Vampires though, but the ones with the correct rims had wrong tires, and the ones with the correct tires had the wrong rims.

The solution is to get two different sets and use the rims from one and the tires from the other.

That will do nicely.

The nosewheel is the correct massive rubber thing as used in the early Doves.

And with that on board some progress may finally begin to take place on this build.

next up I hope to have started cutting something up – and gluing something together

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice goodies, my friend @airbum!
    Your Dove will look so much better with them.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Well - my elegant solution to the tire/wheel issue would be ...(wait for it - you know what's coming, don't you...) - mount it in flight! Nice work thus far in a limited edition kit - and all that the term entails!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten), I do think so too.
    Greg (@gkittinger) - just one slight problem - the wheels are visible when retracted 😉
    Actually the work is yet to start in ernest - I had high hopes to get startet today, but life intervened. Perhaps tomorrow 😀

• Profile Photo

Nosesurgery

or is that noseundercarriagesurgery?

Whatever you call it, I cut off the wheel from the leg.

Easy snips!

Then I removed some material to make the wheel fit

Not at all supposed to be easy it would seem. I will have to either get hold of a oleostrut from a Vampire or modify the one I have.

next up I have received more seats but from another supplier!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Unmistakable Vampirenom front wheel, my friend @airbum!
    I wish I had an 1/59 for my built Venom...
    I am so tempted to scratchbuild one...
    You did a great job there!
    Looking forward to the NLG leg completion!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten). With your scratchbuild skills it'll be a walk in the park.

Be seated - again

another batch of seats arrived!

This time they were from Whirlybird and are a mixed media kit

There will be a lot more work in these, but what to choose? The one-piece resin ones may be for an older version and the resin/PE ones look a bit more “modern”.

I have to assemble one and cut one of the resin ones free to make a better assessment.

next up – well, I really do not know. Due to life intervention I will have a few days again, and they may be spent in the spraybooth instead of at the workbench – meaning this build will make a short stop