Glencoe 1/59 de Havilland Venom FB.4, Fuerza Aérea Venezolana

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 68 · 3 years ago · 1/59, de Havilland, de Havilland Aircraft Company 100 years, Fuerza Aérea Venezolana, Glencoe, Venom
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Spiros- wow - another Vampire... I mean...Venom. You amaze me with your speed at turning out excellent completed planes, one after the other. This looks like another fine completion although I gather Glencoe Models are less than stellar builds. Nice use of your son’s straw!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Eric @eb801!
    You can call the Venom a punchier looking Vamp, many of their subassemblies are lookalikes.
    The Glencoe kit is absolutely on the basic side: no cockpit, not even cockpit walls, no wheel wells, closed unreal intakes were the main areas of concern.

• Profile Photo

Clear coated

Canopy and boom antennas installation and final touch ups left...

• Profile Photo

Final scratchbuilds...

Based on the Classic Airframes instructions and also on actual FAV Venoms pics, I added the following scratchbuilt parts:

• A port fin pitot tube (stretched sprue):

• A wire antenna at each boom middle top (stretched sprue):

• A gunsight made from styrene with an acetate "glass";

• Two seemingly pullout steps below each cockpit side a VHF antenna beside the starboard pullout step and four spent cartridge case chutes beside the guns:

Ready to attach the canopy!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

A tiny bit here, another there, and soon. . . .

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Glued the canopy in place, trimmed as best as I could, faired with white glue and touched up with silver paint.

(By the way the back part of the canopy is totally wrong: it is supposed to go all the way and touch the fuselage, as it is sliding back to open. The kit provided the last bit of the canopy as fuselage part, making me wondering what the kit designers were thinking...)

I added the wingtip lights with blobs of clear paint...

I then gave her a walkaround, touching up here and there...

And called her done!

Thanks friends for keeping me company through my build: it was a great ride!

Special thanks to Admin and good friend Erik @airbum, for creating this great group, hosting me here and keeping constant and essential tracking of my progress. Erik is a wonderful person and a great fellow modeler.

Off to the headlines soon (and in the meantime I will have decided on my next entry here!)

Cheers, Great DH100GB!

• Profile Photo

A final note:

Our friend Tom Hering @TomHering provided valuable info about the history of the kit. Though Glencoe label it as “1/48”, it is the 1/59 old Lincoln kit, so I edited the article to account for this correction. The finished model looked so petite, to be honest, for 1/48, and I hadn’t put it beside my 1/48 Hobbycraft Vampire, so the difference in scales would be apparent.

I thus changed the 1/48 to 1/59 everywhere.Thanks Tom!