Hobbycraft 1/48 DHC U-1A, 18th Aviation Company, Vung Tau, Vietnam, July 1963

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 94 · 2 years ago · 1/48, de Havilland Aircraft Company 100 years, de Havilland Canada, DHC-3, Otter, U-1A, Vietnam
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Eric @eb801!
    All thanks to Allan!
    The Otter has two pairs of characteristic exhausts, bilaterally of the fuselage.
    The Hobbycraft supplied ones, looked a bit crude, so I carefully carved them with a mini file.
    Here you can see the results "before" and "after"

Looking closer to reality now!
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 3 months ago:

A much better look Spiros my friend !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan @kalamazoo!
    Upon detaching from the sprue, I'll give them another fine grinding!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten), that is some nice corrective action you have been at this time too. The exhausts look a lot better with the filed openings, with promises of even more to come. Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Liquefied styrene added everywhere!

The Hobbycraft supplied struts presented a lot of gaps upon assembling them. This was augmented by my surgical operation of wings dettaching, repositoning and reattaching. Small longitudinal gaps appeared at the underside wing roots. I thus applied small quantities of liquefied styrene at every area that was supposed to have a smooth contour, but did not. Here are the results:

There were two holes aft of the wing struts fuselage attachment point. I believe they were applicable to the float version. Anyways, they were not present at U-1As, so they were filled with styrene rod.

Now all is drying, awaiting initial shaving and then sanding...

Cheers, DH100GB!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@fiveten - You have a real knack for taking a "doorstop" kit and turning it into a very nice model.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom @tcinla!
    Stalled for a few days now, due to other projects "prioritizing", but I really miss it (all these "extras" put into it kind of create an extra affection...). Will come back to it the following days!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Re-starting!

After stalling this build,time to restart again!
    Puttied the "monster" for the final (I hope...) time. Here she is!
    Next is sanding, polishing of the windows and masking them, in order to proceed to the paint shop.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Moving on...

Painted black the following:

• Cowiling anti glare area
    • Prop
    • Eengine
    • Exhausts innards

The engine had received some spark plug harness form stretched sprue, as it continued to look rather bland. It will show up upon silver drybrushing.
    I also hand painted some rough areas with OD and medium green, kind of using the thick paint as a filler, to be smooth sanded upon drying. I also wanted to check which color looks "correct", as a final shade: well, despite the fact that instructions call for OD, judging from net-available color pics of those times, the fact is that during the firs Vietnam years the Otters (among others) wore a medium to dark green GLOSS overall camo, of which the green I have test-applied comes kind of close, which will be my choice...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

The windscreen was "somewhere-somehow" lost, residing in a mystical place...
    Thank goodness it was not of a complex shape, so I fabricated one from clear acetate by trial and error process...

It will not be unchallenging to attach it, let's see how things will proceed...
    Good thing that the acetate is very clear, so some cockpit can be seen!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This windscreen looks the part @fiveten well done this job on the Otter!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @michel-verschuere!
    In my bad luck of losing the original part, I was "lucky" that the windscreen had a "simple" shape, so I could sort of recreate it...

• Profile Photo

Painted...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Futured...

...and front antiglare area painted...

thanks for stopping by!