Movie Star Mosquito

Started by George R Blair Jr · 52 · 3 years ago · 1/48, 633 Squadron, Airfix, Mosquito Mk VI
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What can I say my friend, other than a quote 🙂

and to read the instructions.

Actually I do not recall making mistakes! (I do not recall what I had for breakfast either, but that is besides the point)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Mosquito is done! Yeah. After all of the drama with this kit, the finish was almost an anti-climax. Once I got the decals sorted out, I sprayed it with some Testors Flat (out of the can). The movie stand-in did not have a wire aerial like wartime Mosquitoes, but had two whip antennas behind the cockpit instead. I added these using fine wire. I then took all of the masking off, then did a little weathering, added all of the smaller parts, and that was it. So, here is my Mosquito TT Mk 35 masquerading in the movie for a Mosquito Mk 6. I used the code HT-G, serial HR113, which was one of the Mosquitos which was used for many of the flying sequences in the movie. In the end, I guess it was worth the effort, but not nearly as much fun as other things I have built.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

"and there were much rejoice! horrah, yeeeyh, horrah" to quote the boys.

No, seriously, it turned out great, and keeping in mind you did not really enjoy the build, I for one have to say that not only do I like the finished plane, I enjoyed the ride AND love the tribute you have been paying to the movie by doing this. Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

What a great finish and what a great result, George @gblair!
    This is a superb looking Mosquito, and the idea of modeling it as it appeared at the movie makes it unique!
    This was another lovely modeling ride you offered us, my friend!
    Well done!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and Erik (@airbum). I appreciate the nice comments. I think I my next build will be another De Havilland, but in my search for something different I found an Alley Cat resin conversion for a twin-tail Beaufighter. The conversion is for the new Airfix 1/72 Mk X, so it should be a fun build.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Interesting model George, well done !

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

A twin tail Beau?
    Totally interesting and absolutely fun!
    Waiting for your decisions, George @gblair!