The Downsview Project

Started by Aldo Missio · 11 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Beaver, dehavilland, DeHavilland Canada, Mosquito, RCAF, twin otter
  • Profile Photo
    Aldo Missio said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Since December 2019, I have been working part-time in outdoor education at the Discovery Centre of Downsview Park in Toronto. Downsview Park was created when Canadian Forces Base Downsview was de-comissioned. It was the home of DeHavilland Canada. In WWII, over 1000 Mosquitoes were built there, as well as Ansons and Tiger Moths. After the war, DHC began building all-Canadian designs - the Chipmunk, the Beaver (Canada's most iconic bush plane), the Otter, Twin Otter, Caribou and Buffalo (all very Canadian Animals), as well as Trackers, under license. Eventually acquired by Bombardier, the company moved into small regional airliners like the Dash-7 and 8, and the subsequent Bombardier designs.
    Now the hangars and factories have been repurposed into indoor sport fields, climbing gyms, go-cart tracks and other recreational facilities.
    The Discovery Centre where I work has a small classroom where we introduce programs (before Covid) before taking the kids out into the natural areas that the airbase has begun to turn into (with some help from park planners and environmental engineers.)
    I'm planning to do dioramas of some of the DHC aircraft for display in the classroom area.
    So far, a Mosquito and Twin Otter models are nearly completed and ready for diorama construction. A Beaver has had some painting disasters to deal with.

If anyone is interested in donating DHC aircraft for display, I would be happy to discuss.

Happy modeling.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Mosquito for the Downsview Project:
    Airfix 1/72. The vintage kit. As the plane is mostly plywood, not so many of older Airfix's beloved rivets.
    As the intended audience is mainly 11 year olds, and not model judges, I am leaving it unweathered, no panel shading, filling, etc. I am hoping to duplicate the scene in the period photo, which shows a new mosquito flying from the plant airfield, crossing Dufferin Street, which is now a major road in Toronto.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice project, Aldo!
    The Mosquito looks nice, the kids will surely appreciate it.
    I would love to build a couple of models for your project, but Greece is too far away to send them to you...

• Profile Photo

Your kind thoughts are appreciated, even if you're too far to ship models!

• Profile Photo

Twin Otter for the Downsview Project:
    This 1/72 Matchbox kit is the second model for an eventual diorama. The kit decals were disintegrating before my eyes, so I had to salvage as many as I could patch together to do a "sort of" authentic RCAF scheme.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice Twin Otter, Aldo!
    This lovely kit has been reissued by Revell, I might build it oner day.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice interesting project Aldo, going well.

• Profile Photo

Spiros - hopefully the reissue has decent decals.

• Profile Photo

Alan - thank you.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Aldo (@aldog) what a great project. The models for the dios will work fine for your educational site. Do send me a PM with your adress, and I will send you the decals from the re-issued kit to finish your Twin Otter.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Life intervened, but the decals are on their way Aldo!