A-20/DB-7B (Boston III) tropical – AMT/ETRL

Started by Eric Berg · 161 · 1 year ago · A-20, A-20B/C, AMT/ERTL A-20 B/C Mk III, Boston, Havoc
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This has been sitting in the basement for some years so I will build this A-20C as a Boston in British desert colors and may consider modeling it as an early A-20 with single exhaust on outside of each nacelle. I ordered up the Vector resin fabric control surfaces and C navigator's cockpit for the nose. Thanks to @tcinla for that recommendation. And then there are the awful kit tires, but I will deal with that once I get this guy started. This group build will be a lot of fun.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@eb801 - I forgot to mention that I found that sanding down the main tires to just some diamond tread knocked off all the awfulness, at a very cheap price.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@eb801 I can confirm, I did the same with my A-20G and it was more than presentable. Looking forward to seeing another A-20 come out of the wood work.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great entry, Eric @eb801
    Looking forward to this Havoc as well.
    Curious how those tyres look like.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This is an amazing entry, my friend @eb801!
    Looking forward to this super build!
    Yes, sanding down those diamond patterns is a good idea!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I am really happy you have found a good subject to contribute to the DAW GB, Eric. As I said to Tom in comments,the markings of British/SAAF Bostons in the DAW are really appealing - something eye-catching about American types in foreign service. IMO, AMT's A-20s are really nice overall. There are 3 in my stash, along with detail sets to be built in Pacific and European Theater schemes some day. You look really prepared to take on the detailing challenges of your particular a/c and I am sure your model will be superb. Welcome to the Group!

• Profile Photo

@coling - It's going to be awhile before I get around to focusing my attention on this A-20 as I have two other WIPs I need to finish. Meanwhile I will gather all the needed materials. I just ordered a David Doyle A-20 reference book so that should help me determine which way to go here dialing in those exhausts.

I did take the advice of @tcinla and @fiveten and jumped onto the wheels, gluing them together and sanding down those awful plated armadillo looking treads. I discovered one has to be real careful not to get carried away and lose the center tread pattern altogether. They have that sorta diamond look now. More like a scaly lizard instead of the aforementioned armadillo. I'm still not happy with them but they'll do the job. I'll post photos later.

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to the scaly lizard pattern pics, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @johnb, and @pb_legend - I'm not going show off these scaly treads just yet because I just found the correct treads for the A-20C made by Armory Models. It's going to be three weeks or so before I get these new resin wheels but when I do I will post both sets. The diamond pattern on the Armory treads look perfect , unlike what the kit treads look like after they are sanded. You'll see.

• Profile Photo

Not exactly diamond treads but they do look way better than AMT's.

• Profile Photo

Those wheels look fantastic, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

That is a very nice set of wheels, Eric @eb801

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years ago:

The Build Commences!

After a month of no modeling, I dove right in on this project. I'm going to replicate an early RAF Douglas DB-7B with the short lived tropical cowlings in North African desert scheme.

Here's all the parts and goodies I will use:

1:48 AMT/ERTL A-20 B/C Havoc, 1994 release
    Red Roo Models Boston Tropical Cowls & Exhaust Stacks resin set
    Vector A-20 fabric control surfaces resin
    Vector A-20C Navigator’s Cockpit resin
    Armory A-20C Boston wheels resin
    Xtradecal RAF Roundels Type A1
    Xtradecal RAF Red Bomber Codes
    Airscale Instrument dial decals
    Three Guys Replicas A-20 Decal odds n ends
    Eduard Mask
    Eduard PE seatbelts

Cockpit Parts Painted!

Navigator's Cockpit
    This Vector set fits perfectly. More details to be added.

Engines Painted!
    These could be more detailed but you won't see much once they are installed so I painted the kit parts just as they are.

Intrument Panel Detailed!
    Used Airscale Instrument dial decals. Each and every dial. I think AMT's molding is very good here.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Very impressive work done, Eric @eb801
    Especially the IP contains a lot of details.
    The engines do look sufficiently detailed as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Amazing job so far, my friend @eb801! And what a collection of extras!
    Looking forward to this already superb build!