Airfix P-40 Tomahawk

Started by David Butler · 10 · 2 years ago · Airfix, P-40, Tomahawk
  • Profile Photo
    David Butler said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Hello all, I am about 80% done with the new tool Airfix P-40 Tomahawk that I am finishing as part of the 112 fighter group based in Libya circa 1941.

I am posting some in-progress photos hoping to get some feedback. . . this is my first serious attempt at chipping. I am trying to aim for a weathered warbird but not overdone. Is the chipping convincing or is a a bit too much? Honest critiques are welcome!

Also-did the P-40 Tomahawk have an antenna mast behind the cockpit? There is no indication in the instructions to add one but there is a part for the kit included and it is shown in the final painting instructions. . . I've looked over the internet and seen it both with and without!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

This is an amazing entry, my friend @dbutlr!

Chipping looks great from here.

Regarding the antenna mast, it is true that you can find both configurations. The masts and, moreover, the wire antennas were items that could have been installed or removed, sometimes without any kind of pattern, especially during those times. Having a pic of the particular plane at the particular time would have been, of course, a blessing.

Nevertheless, if the mast is shown in the final painting instructions of the specific scheme, I would use it.

Looking forward to your super build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

From the pictures the chipping looks fine, David @dbutlr
    Did build the Tomahawk version of this Airfix kit myself and was very pleased with it.
    I also included the antenna behind the cockpit for the exact same reason as mentioned by Spiros @fiveten.
    Looking forward to the final stages.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the feedback and info! Greatly appreciated!

• Profile Photo

Some updates of how things are going so far, decals and weathering

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looks fantastic so far, my friend @dbutlr!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros! I'm looking forward to the final result (hopefully) by the end of the week!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Coming along very nicely, David @dbutlr
    Just a few steps to be done.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Your build looks great, David@dbutlr. This may be the same subject/markings I eventually do in 1/32nd. Your colors, airbrush work and decaling look excellent. I think the chipping looks very nice, restrained and well thought-out. I had to go over the chipping I did on my N1K2J Shiden Kai several times, over a couple of months and using many techniques, before I was satisfied.

In 1/32nd, I find it difficult to get an authentic look without having riveting to follow. In 1/48, you can get good effects without all that trouble. Desert birds and Japanese aircraft can hardly go without chipping. Anyway, great work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much for the feedback and for the photos! Your work looks excellent and is the "weathered yet restrained" look that I am aiming to achieve. . . I hope that mine turns out as well as yours!