Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Vc - a Malta Spit

Started by Tom Cleaver · 15 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This is the Spitfire Vc overtrees, obtained on eBay for $24.00.

This is going to be Spitfire Vc BR301 of 249 Squadron RAF, which may be the top-scoring Malta Spitfire, flown by several aces in the summer in 1942, including George "Screwball" Buerling for the majority of his 15 victories in July 1942.

BR301 was one of the Spitfire Vc's brought by USS Wasp on her second Malta resupply mission in early May, 1943. As such, it is generally suspected she is one of the "Blue Spitfires." As with all the others, exactly how that was done, since the RAF at Malta completely failed in their duty to record everything for posterity - and modelers - due to their completely selfish concern with fighting a daily war for survival - is at best edumacated guesses.

Research done by Ron Lowry that was published in Robert Bracken's great "Spitfire: the Canadians" has BR301 in an overall blue scheme of Azure Blue lowers, and a light and dark blue uppers, painted over the desert scheme of Dark Earth and Middle Stone, with the rudder unpainted and the serial having been masked off, which reveals the desert scheme background. This repaint may have been done aboard Wasp, using paint available on the ship.

Nobody really knows if that is right, any more than they can be sure of any of the other Blue Spitfires, but it is an educated guess based on research.

I think Lowry is 80% right. But I then bring my own first-hand knowledge of how the US Navy does "quick and dirty."

I agree that the Blue Spitfires were likely done aboard Wasp. They had a week from taking the airplanes aboard in the UK to getting to the launch position in the Mediterranean, which gives the time to do so that would not have been available on Malta in the midst of a daily fight for survival. What I think would have been done is that the Navy Medium Blue paint that would have been available for maintenance of the carrier's air group was not a huge supply, so it would have been "stretched" - thinned - and probably thin enough that it barely covered the color scheme beneath, and it was done quickly by people with paint brushes. No neat spray jobs. Thus, the "dark" and "light" blue upper scheme is the thinned blue paint over the Dark Earth and Middle Stone.

Is this definitively right? Unknown. But it fits the operational situation and conditions under which the work would have been done.

So, now that the kit is assembled, the work is in the painting. What will be done is a desert scheme. These airplanes were painted in the UK, most likely after coming off the production line, where they were painted in the basic Day Fighter Scheme, since their ultimate destination was unknown. Whether that was stripped off and they were completely repainted in the desert scheme is unknown, but probably unlikely as a waste of time back then. They were likely done in the "A Scheme" and spraypainted, so it would have not been exactly what had been done in the factory paint shop. They might have had the stenciling applied, unlike the way these repaints were done at Aboukir, or perhaps they were done exactly the same way. I'm going to assume the stenciling was there, then overpainted on the ship, with some showing through the thinned paint. So after I do the desert scheme, I will then apply stenciling. Then I will apply Navy Medium Blue, thinned about 40 (paint)-60 (thinner) or maybe even a bit more. Once it's applied with the airbrush unevenly, I'll go over it with a paintbrush dipped in more-thinned paint, to get the "not neatly done" finish.

You may note that the model has been assembled in accordance with the notes included in Eduard's "Eagle's Call" instructions for their Malta Spit option. The airplanes arrived on Malta carrying four 20mm cannon as a way of getting spares there. Many - not all but apparently most - of the Vc's had the inner cannons removed, as well as the four .303 machine guns to save weight (as an aside, the fact they were worried about saving weight is an argument that the original factory paint was not removed, but overpainted; by the time they got to Malta, they might have had over 100 pounds of paint on them, which would also argue for very thinned blue paint for weight saving). So the wing looks like an "e" wing; Malta's experience might have had something to do with the ultimate change of the cannon to the outer position in later Spitfires. I also used the "square" cannon cover rather than the teardrop, mostly just because that makes for visual difference with other "C" wing Spitfires, but it also might have been done with 4-cannon Spitfire C wing airplanes.

So, now on to the paint shop. I'll finish with the decals from "Spitfire: Aces of the Empire" for BR301.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

A great addition and a quick start, Tom @tcinla
    Fitting seems quite nice.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - assemble the gear wells into the lower wing, attach the lower wing to the assembled fuselage, then attach the upper wing halves. No bending, no pushing and shoving, just perfect fit. As you can see throughout, no filler anywhere. Take your time assembling an Eduard kit and it comes out perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Ross Paton said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Great topic. I love the idea of the paint schemes. The debate is interesting and it adds a bit of variety to bog-standard camo. Personally I doubt if stencils would be reapplied (as you suggest). It would be a major PITA and any ground crew who didn't know where to stand wouldn't last long on Malta.

• Profile Photo

No, @ross4, I think the stencils would have been reapplied (if they were) back in the UK when the airplane was repainted before going on Wasp for transfer to Malta. Definitely never would have been done at Malta.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looks good! That’s the Spitfire kit that I’ve been waiting for.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I’m looking forward to see your completed model Tom
    Also am keen in getting a future “Mediterranean” Profipack box for their Mk.Vc Spitifre. That’s the best camouflages imo

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This will be another beauty, Tom. Great research. I think we can all feel confident this will be a museum quality representation of a Vc out of Malta. A proud Canadian is pleased to see it was one of Beurling's aircraft. Looking forward to the results coming out of the paint shop.

• Profile Photo

So, here is the paint shop results. I think I proved my case.

First, I painted the desert scheme, then applied stencils.

Then I applied very thinned Navy Medium Blue Grey. And immediately found out how it became "two tone." The thinned paint covered the Middle Stone adequately, but the Dark Earth was still pretty brown. So what would they have done on Wasp? Applied a second coat over the DE - like I did. And - voila! - two-tone "blue" camouflage.

I did the area of "wing walk" lighter, because the paint would have worn there from boots on the paint.

Interestingly enough, I did some internet research last night and confirmed I am not the only modeler to come up with this explanation.

I think this result definitely proves the hypothesis.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

This is a great effect, Tom @tcinla.
    It turned out very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Love your "educated guess" on the camo rendition, my friend @tcinla!
    Truly spectacular result!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 3 months ago:

finished just before Christmas, only had time for pix today.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Well done, my friend @tcinla! Looks superb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great looking as well, Tom @tcinla
    Especially the paintwork performed on this one.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@tcinla Spectacular build! I wish I will bulid Spitfire from Malta 🙂 so in malta did they use only 2x20mm wirthout 0.303 machine guns on Spits?