Further Build Possibilities

Started by Colin Gomez · 10 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

In laying out some potential subjects for this GB, I forgot to mention some other important areas of interest. In the context of the Torch landings and the action in French North Africa there are numerous possibilities for Vichy French fighters and fighter-bombers, including the Dewoitine D.520, Curtis Hawk, and Potez 63, Bloch 174, Douglas Boston, Martin Baltimore and others. Some of those aircraft either reverted or were kept in traditional French camo, minus the Vichy stripes. For the American presence in French Morrocco, A-36s served from April 1943, which falls within the range of this GB. Dauntlesses and Avengers flew from carriers. Swordfishes and Hurricanes flew in US Markings, in North Africa, which I , for one, have rarely seen modeled. For those who like the Spitfire without the awkward Vokes filter, USAAF Spitfire lXs in US markings operating over French North Africa were aerodynamically clean. The dates of their service easily fall within the period of this GB. Here is some information on the type from our own Tom Cleaver:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/cleaverspit8.htm

Apparently, RAF 145 Squadron aircraft in similar colors of the "Polish Fighting Team" also operated out of North Africa from late March 1943 and saw combat (see link below).

Anyway, just thought I might provide some more ideas. Not all possibilities are equally obvious but there are many. Happy modeling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for all this info, my friend @coling. Possibilities are definitely expanded!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I was hesitant to join up, thinking that I didn't have anything to build... but I do in fact have an AM early P-51 with with the cannons, which I was planning to build OOB. Also can do another A-36, and perhaps a Hawk. Those, and it crossed my mind that this would indeed be an convenient time to add a USAAF Spit to the collection, but a moratorium for new kits is now in effect.

Unfortunately, I'm in an erratic state of building atm, and may not be able to commit.

• Profile Photo

No hurry, Andrew. Any one of those builds would be a great addition. I am also heavily committed to current builds (including ones on this GB) and am also not buying new stuff during lockdown/temporary(?) layoff.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 8 months ago:

There really are innumerable possibilities if you consider AC that served behind the front lines, like transport and liaison. I am considering pulling out my Italeri/ICM Henschel 126 B. Recon are always the unsung heroes.

• Profile Photo

That would be a great choice, Pedro. Lots of very attractive schemes for the HS 126

. I would add also the Fiesler Storch, Westland Lysander and Piper L3 Grasshopper. Lots of C-47s and colorful Ju-52s as well.

Thanks for your input.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@coling - to qualify for this GB, the only US Spitfires that make the cut are the Spirfire Vs and some IXs. The VIII didn't get into squadron service till after the German North African surrender.

From my article:

In August 1943, the 308th FS of the 31st FG - the group's most successful squadron - became the first USAAF unit to operate the Spitfire VIII, the group having had some Mk. IXs in limited operation since the previous April, with enough in each squadron to provide a high cover flight for the Spitfire Vb's. The new Spitfires first saw combat over Palermo, Sicily, on August 8, 1943, when 20 Bf-109s were encountered, of which 3 were shot down. On August 11, the 308th claimed two Fw-190s and a Macchi C.205. There would be additional combat over Italy in late September during the Salerno invasion, and then things quieted down.

• Profile Photo

Right, Tom. As I said (and you said in your article), Mk lXs served briefly in North Africa. Mk Vbs are assumed to have for many squadrons, including US ones. I make no claims about Mk VIIIs. Since your article focused more on the Mk VIII, I take it to mean that the "new Spitfires" - Mk Vllls - first saw action over Sicily. You are clear that the Mk lXs were flying top cover in North Africa from April. There is also good documentation of RAF Mk lX use with the Poles from 145 Squadron in North Africa - seeing combat against Bf-109s -and somewhat vaguer records on 92 (East India) Squadron as well. Are you actually contesting that the type is relevant to the Group Build? Granted, the use was limited but it is definitely OK within the GB and makes for more interesting build options. Here is a link to the RAF use, with ops described and further reading suggested:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946432-spitfires-mkix-over-africa-photos-needed-please/

Results of Mk lX action against Bf109s in North Africa by 145 Squadron is also documented photographically by the Imperial War Museum:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205188615

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209611

For those interested in the RAF option, here are some decals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363019419197

Happy modeling.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hi guys. I just wanted to bring to your attention a note of clarification in the Group Description. I had originally wanted to avoid interfering with anyone's future GB inventions by not doing a broad MTO theme (which is really huge in time period and geographic relevance). Nonetheless, it is probably essential to clarify the importance of Malta to air and sea operations directly pertinent to the Desert Air Air War. This keeps things still within dates and theme focus. Here is the additional text in the Group Description - as attached to the original part about attacks on convoys and ports:

In addition to the use of air power in support of ground forces, aerial attacks on convoys supplying both sides brought many kinds of aircraft into the action. This would include aircraft involved in the air war over Malta, since this island was the "unsinkable aircraft carrier" that allowed the British to strangle Rommel's supply lines across the Mediterranean by convoy. In the words of Rommel himself, "Without Malta the Axis will end by losing control of North Africa" - as it indeed did.

The Malta element definitely adds new aircraft and markings to the list of types that could be built, including Sea Gladiators, Wellingtons, Fulmars and others. Aircraft out of Malta also attacked Italian ports in North Africa, as well as the convoys. Italian aircraft based in Sicily and Rhodes harassed Royal Navy convoys to Malta. The operational criteria remain clear but the basing possibilities are expanded considerably. I hope this helps. Happy modeling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This is great additional info, my friend @coling, really expanding the envelope of this great GB!