Italerei (ex-AMT) Douglas A-20B Havoc

Started by Tom Cleaver · 55 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Ran across this kit at the LHS estate sale.

And then I did some research here and wouldn't you know it, David French and Tom Bebout did the kit, and demonstrated all the help it needs.

So, a quick trip to Linden Hill Imports to pick up the Vector Resins control surfaces, pilot's cockpit and bombardier's compartment - all vast improvements on what is in the kit.

And some effort started to improve the rear cockpit.

Haven't done one of these since around 1995 when it came out.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I feel this is a great choice for this GB.
    One question Tom, based on the pic it seems you replaced the ailerons. Are those in the kit soft in details or simply inaccurate?

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great looking resin pieces. It should spruce this old girl up. Curious to see what came scheme is selected.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer - the control surfaces - ailerons, elevators and rudder - on the A-20 are all fabric covered, yet the kit has them all without detail as though they were metal-covered. And once you know that (as I did looking at the pix in Tom's and David's builds), it's impossible to look at them in the kit without a shudder (at least for me).

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend - probably one of these:

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This will be a great submission, Tom. I don't see so many of the "Boston" version of the A-20 built. I still remember building the Airfix Douglas Boston III in 1/72 back in the 70s in my first incarnation as a modeler. I like the look of the greenhouse nose even though there will be quite a lot of masking to do (a challenge I am sure you are up to). Having the resin interior will provide lots of nice detail in the nose and cockpit. I am very happy to see you have already done work on it and gotten over the hump of a feature you don't like by replacing the ailerons. All three USAAF versions you show in the photos look really nice. I also like the SAAF Bostons in desert camo with British roundels which might be easier to do OOB. Looking forward to seeing this built. Thanks for contributing your talents and knowledge to the GB and welcome aboard.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Cool choice, Tom (@tcinla). I have built this kit a couple of times, and it really comes out well. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @tcinla! Those extras really boost key areas!

• Profile Photo

Actually, this is going to be a Havoc, @coling. the kit is AC/DC. it was almost a Boston, but Linden Hill didn't have the resin Boston nose (the "angle" glass rather than the "step" glass).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

What a great start, Tom @tcinla
    The interior parts are very detailed, a great addition.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent workmanship !

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looks great, Tom. What are you going to do with these scoops on the inner side of each nacelle? I’ve never seen good photos of that area either in 1:1 or on a model.

• Profile Photo

Assembled the model over the past two days.

With things completed, I have to say that while the pilot's cockpit in resin is nice, it's hard to see much of it. If I were doing things over, I would have just gotten the resin bombardier's nose and the control surfaces. What's there in the kit is fine for the pilot's cockpit, and in fact the kit-supplied instrument panel is better.

When I attached the wings, I suddenly saw that there was no dihedral. The left wing did have the correct dihedral, but the right didn't. So I bent the wing up before the glue firmly set, and separated the lower wing/fuselage joint. I slipped in a piece of .020 Evergreen sheet and glued it in position, then trimmed it. That changed the wing dihedral to the proper angle.

I'm glad I didn't get the resin engines. You really cannot see enough of the engines once in the cowling to make that much difference.

Looking at the photos of the possible airplanes I will do, I noticed that they all had the individual exhaust stacks on the rear of the cowling, the large single exhaust on the outside was not there. I think this is a difference between early and late-production A-20Bs. I made some better exhausts with Evergreen strips.

Now comes getting ready to paint.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Quickly and beautifully done, Tom @tcinla.
    The cockpit looks nice and it is a pitty to see it closed up.
    The exhaust are wonderfully done with Evergreen. Never noticed the position of them on the bottom of the cowling before.

• Profile Photo

@j-healy - I took some Evergreen sheet and put in backing for those scoops, so they're not just holes in the nacelle.