SAAF Martin Maryland – FROG/Novo 1/72.

Started by John Healy · 35 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I started fettling around with this old kit yesterday. I was leaning towards finishing it as an unarmed, Vichy government courier a/c that worked the Madagascar route. Change in plans! This GB is perfect for this model. I’m going to do it as a South African plane in the western desert during 1941. The RAF and SAAF experimented with using the Maryland as a long range fighter. This particular a/c shot down two Ju-52s. It was assigned to 21 Sq., SAAF.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Perfect choice, John. The unusual character of the Maryland and its unique use as a long range fighter add some real historical interest to our GB. I also like that we are able to foreground smaller Commonwealth air forces like the SAAF, RAAF, RNZAF and RCAF, which had quite a distinctive identity in this campaign, at least as far as pilot's identity was acknowledged. It's great that you have a high quality Falcon Vax canopy for this one. It really adds realism, especially in close-up photography. I am sure that your skills in 1/72, as evidenced by your recent Airfix Beaufort and Blenheim builds, will make this project one to watch.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice choice, John @j-healy
    Will follow your build of this Maryland with great interest.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, guys. I’m just relearning 1/72. It’s a perfect scale for multi engine planes if you have 500+ completed models in your house, LOL. I might be able to do a couple of other oddballs for this GB too.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice choice John and may I add I too have finally figured out that 1/72 is ideal for storing/displaying multi-engine aircraft. But John where does one store 500+ completed models? Asking for a friend.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great choice, John (@j-healy). I built the Special Hobby 1/48 kit of the Maryland a while ago and had a hard time choosing which scheme to do. I am looking forward to seeing this plane in the desert scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Yes, an excellent choice, my friend @j-healy! I just love seing old kits tackled: your skills guarantee a masterpiece to be produced!
    The vacanopy is a great addition.
    Indeed, 1/72 is such a comforting scale, especially if you have a lot of built models to store!
    Looking forward to this nice build!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Good one John.

• Profile Photo

Tom, I have 350 spread across the family room and two bedrooms in glass doored bookcases and shelving units. Another 150+ are in boxes in the basement storage area. And oh yeah, a 1/72 U-boat resides in the workshop because it doesn’t fit anywhere else! Actually, this hobby is the main reason I still have the house in Chicago. We’re spending more and more time at a small condo we own on the Alabama coast. I do most of my construction now at the ‘Bama place and paint and display them in Chicago.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 8 months ago:

That’s an uncommon kit of an uncommon aircraft. It’ll be nice to see it completed .

I wish there were a B-23 Dragon kit available. Its another rare bird that’d be nice to have in kit form.

• Profile Photo

A B-23 would be cool, Jay. Special Hobby has a nice B-18, so maybe someday….. I haven’t touched a model in over a week. Storms here today so I’m hoping to get some time in with the Maryland.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I made a couple of bulkheads and found some P-40/P-36 seats in the spares box to improve the cockpit a little bit. I’m also improving the turret ring with plastic tube and leftover Blenheim parts.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great to see somescratch building for improvements, John @j-healy
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @j-healy! Nothing better than performing serious improvements on older kits!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Back to the Maryland. I did some more detailing and basic construction. It’s ready for interior paint and major assembly soon after. This one will go fast as it doesn’t have a very high parts count.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.