'Torch' Wildcat

Started by IAN JACKSON · 15 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year, 6 months ago:

So other than my A-7E Corsair build, everything has been cleared from the bench, the bench has been tidied, the floors vacuumed and the cutting-mat washed with ISO and good ol' soap & water.

Why ?, because I found an old Aeromaster sheet that had (better) decals for an F4F Wildcat that was on the USS Santee off North Africa in late 1942 with VGF-29 (a gunnery spotting squadron). So this will be my first entry for this GB. The only after-market item will be a Squadron vac-form rear canopy which will sit better on the spine than the Tamiya one.

First order of business was to spray the yellow surround for the fuselage star - not too difficult, just some careful measuring, a circle cutter, some broad masking tape and off you go. Cockpit is all sprayed in Tamiya Deep Green (XF 26) which was then dry brushed in a lighter green, followed by picking-out the (superb) details in various enamel tones.

All questions, comments and criticism welcome. More soon, best from Middle Earth.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

A superb entry and great progress already, my friend @ij001! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Actually "VGF" meant "Auxiliary carrier squadron, fighter" Ian. Not gunnery. They weren't sure what to call the jeep carriers at that point. All those designations back then are confusing so join the crowd. The CO of VGF-29 was Tommy Blackburn, who went into the water and spent three days in his raft till he was picked up. He was always surprised that from that "failure" they gave him VF-17.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Greaty entry and ditto start, Ian @ij001. Will be following this build with great interest.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Tom, actually I re-read my (limited) references on the Wildcat only this morning and they confirm what you've said. Not sure where I read that this squadrons' main role was gunnery spotting - probably 'somewhere' on-line.

So today, managed to steal an hour here and and a half hour there. Not too much done, but every little helps, right ?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, my friend @ij001!
    Every little helps indeed!

• Profile Photo

Although a little time spent, the interior looks amazing, Ian @ij001

• Profile Photo

Tamiya Wildcat progress:

May not appear that there's any logic to what I'm doing here... So the control surfaces are fabric, and I'm trying to emphasise that by having them in different tones to the rest of the airframe - they'll be masked and hidden when I start spraying the main camo colours.

The glossy blue (and white) sections are to attempt to differentiate some of the panels .
    (in my head it's all going to plan - explaining what I'm trying to achieve... not so much).

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @ij001!

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, Ian @ij001

• Profile Photo

Tamiya Wildcat update:

An unexpected day-off yesterday, so managed to get a virtually uninterrupted marathon painting & masking session.

Main paint finished - all Tamiya acrylics. Comments encouraged. Have a great weekend all, best from NZ.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nice paintwork, Ian @ij001
    The panel shading looks great.

• Profile Photo

Decals on - a combination of Aeromaster & kit - and sealed in with a couple of light coats of Tamiya LP-24 Semi Gloss Clear. Next will be a panel line wash followed by some weathering with oil paints.

All the best from NZ.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Decals do look great, Ian @ij001

• Profile Photo

Indeed decals look great on, my friend @ij001!