Wardell Bridge, 1/72, scratch build, WIP

• 208 posts
  • Last reply 1 day, 1 hour ago
  • 1/72. Bridge, diorama, WIP
Viewing 196 - 208 of 208 posts
  • Peter Hausamann said 6 days, 1 hour ago:

Just to clarify why I added a card strip along the back edge of display. As I painted the water surface, I would also paint the card strip. This strip gets transposed onto the bottom edge of the canvas. It will be a water colour reference for the background of the diorama. The canvas painting will be in oil paints, my preferred painting medium.

The painting will only look, in perspective, from the console operator’s point of view.
    Below, is an idea of what the background will look like. As you can see, it will be mostly sky.

• Peter Hausamann said 5 days, 5 hours ago:

“Crikey! It’s a Kraken”.

• david leigh-smith said 5 days, 3 hours ago:

Fabulous, Peter. My mind’s eye still prefers your buoy Kraken, but this is quite brilliant. And the water is looking superb. Model of the year for my money.

• Jeff Bailey said 4 days, 15 hours ago:

I’ve followed but not commented much, but this is outstanding work, Peter. You have a great way of transferring what you see in life or a photo and making a miniature of it. Beautifully done, Sir!

By the way – I love the Kraken …

• Peter Hausamann said 3 days, 23 hours ago:

Thanks David for your kind words. I too prefer the implied kraken. It’s perceived implication becomes the observers co-authorship. Hope you’re able to rescue your small mishap. Looking forward to seeing it all put together as a display.

Jeff, glad you are enjoying the build log. Thanks for your support.
    Spent the whole day dry-brushing the water surafce with lighter shades for the water crests. When it dried I was glad that it went darker, as previously explained. Now it’s not so noticeable. Yet the whole water surface became slightly lighter shade

Still lots of little touch-ups required. Then a three day drying period is needed before applying the varnish. Each coat requires 24 hrs drying time. Looking forward to see how it will look then.

• Peter Hausamann said 3 days, 1 hour ago:

Not much to see here. Just a few touch-ups is all I had time for today. I was too tired after riding a 25 mile race. All the way I did not see one rider in front of me.

Played around with the bridge footings at water level. Tried to give a better impression than just cement and coloured water.

Then decided to add other sea creatures besides the kraken.

May get the kids to count how many jellyfish there are.

• Adolfo Coelho said 2 days, 19 hours ago:

Really amazing Peter! Beautifully made water effects produced by the movement of the ships & boats…
    Every single detail is, as I said before, like a small diorama within the larger one!
    The addition of those jellyfish, and that school of fish, is again another great detail (how did you do that, btw?) .

Cheers!

Dolf

• Greg Kittinger said 2 days, 17 hours ago:

Amazing – well, I was trying to think of something else to add, but – well – just amazing!

• Peter Hausamann said 1 day, 14 hours ago:

Dolf, Thanks for kind words. The fish were painted in before I dry-brushed the water crests.

• Peter Hausamann said 1 day, 14 hours ago:

Thanks Greg. I am glad you find the model amazing. It’s good to know that others feel the same way about the model as I do. It sure amazies me too. It’s funny that way.

Because every step is basically new to me, when I have an idea which is exciting, it is always laced with intrepidation / doubt. Then I find out there was nothing to fear in the first place. The fear turns into amazement and gratitude. The whole process of being creative breaks into unknown territories. I love it. It’s such an adventure.

• david leigh-smith said 1 day, 14 hours ago:

Well, Peter. I love the jellyfish, the fish have a lovely fluid sense of movement, and that transition from the deeper water to the mucky banks is expertly done. All you need is Thunderchild steaming toward a few Martian fighting machines and you are good to go.

• Peter Hausamann said 1 day, 13 hours ago:

Thanks David.
    If I introduced Martian fighting machines the Krakens will pull them down into the deep. They love crabs.

Besides that, the museum staff would call the mental health team, not for my benefit, but to save the model from certain meltdown.

I get the feeling you’re thinking about a very different, yet interesting, subject for your next project. If so, it will be quite exciting to watch for it will largely be scratch build and a diorama. Plus, becoming a maverick amongst the fly boys.

• Peter Hausamann said 1 day, 1 hour ago:

I visited our Missingham bridge to study the footings. It had some barnacles on it. Also studied the reflections of the pier on the water.

Decided to follow this example. I avoid using a flood brown colour on the footings, for it had a strong colour contrast with the bluish waters. So I used various shades of grey to neutralize colour comparisons. Exagerated the barnacles to make it look like barnacles at such a small scale.

Cleaned up the wharf. Added another submerged tentacle to the kraken (near side). With the gangway in place, the kraken will be partly hidden (a sneaky fellow). Painted the fish and jellyfish swimming away from the kraken.

Viewing 196 - 208 of 208 posts