Wardell Bridge, 1/72, scratch build, WIP

• 254 posts
  • Last reply 7 months, 2 weeks ago
  • 1/72. Bridge, diorama, WIP
Viewing 211 - 225 of 254 posts
  • Peter Hausamann said 10 months ago:

Thank you David, your response means a lot to me. It touched my heart.

Applied fist coat of varnish. It certainly looks wetter.
    I noticed the varnish allows the lighter colours, as seen on the water crests, to reflect more light.

The water still looks quite choppy. Hoping the next coat or two will mellow it out a bit.

After three coats of gloss:

• Adolfo Coelho said 10 months ago:

Wonderful, Peter (@tecko) ! And quite realistic effects!

Cheers!

Dolf

• Greg Kittinger said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wow – those fish and jellyfish, and even the striations of the color of the water, take on a whole new 3-dimensional look underneath the varnish, and the whole effect is just gorgeous!

• david leigh-smith said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

The whole build has taken an even better aspect with the varnish. Just when you think it can’t get any better…

• Peter Hausamann said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks Dolf, Greg, and David for liking the model so far.
    Next week, I am ‘under the table’ again. No, not drunk, but ‘on the rails’ creating a sliding mechanism for traversing the boat back and forth. I’ll have to try hard to drag myself away from another start to a model (Bridge on Rv Kwai).

Peter, the lead time on the Movie Group Build is looooooong. Enjoy this this build. It is a fabulous project.

David, I know its another 15 months, but believe me, time gets away fairly quickly when you’re having fun. I am not good at sticking with long-term goals at a regular obsessive pace. I tend to do a few weeks here and there, and then a mad rush at the end. Much like cramming for a uni exam. It’s the anti-authoritarian in me. 🙂

Rarely have I broken this mold. To do so, I would have to atrophy one figurine, or taper a dowel, per night. This alone will take a looooong time (I think). Anyway, I hear you. I am not worried by it all. Thanks for your feedback.

Peter, I suspected there was a subversive (in a good sense) lurking in there behind the posts.

Give it to the man.

You betcha.

At uni, it was revealed to me that I had a knack for finding loopholes in research, epidemiology, etc. The head of Health Science tried to get me to specialize in policy making. As much as that may have been a career choice, my heart was more towards counselling. However, it turned out that I was particularly good at advocacy on behalf of the clients. Loved sticking it to the unjust and unethical professionals.

• Michel Verschuere said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Fantastic work Peter!

• Peter Hausamann said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks Michel.

• Peter Hausamann said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Spent last two days trying to design the electronics for the boat and mechanics for the pulley system. There is surprisingly a lot to consider.

1. No loose moving wire harness to be used. Fatigue causes to many breakdowns.
    2. Boat electronics, while traversing, needs to depend on own power source.
    3. Need to design 9V battery charger. Battery to be mounted on boat vane.
    4. Mechanisms to enable/disable circuits while boat traverses to, and at, docking points.
    5. Boat nav lights to transpose location, on boat, to signify up and/or down stream travel.
    6. Nav lights to be enabled only while bridge span is ‘unlocked’.
    7. 9V battery gets recharged every time it docks in the upstream location (far end).
    8. Pulley system needs to incorporate safety shutdown before motor gets overloaded due to any mechanical malfunction.
    9. Diesel motor sound, and possibly a foghorn, to be heard whenever the boat motor is on.

Ah, the weekend is here. I think I’ll take a break and leave this for two days; and do something different – like my ‘iModeler at the Movies’ build log.

• david leigh-smith said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

There’s an engineer’s desk. Busy but purposeful and an expression of thoughtful creativity. A joy to see the fountainhead. This whole build is a joy.

Viewing 211 - 225 of 254 posts