Wardell Bridge, 1/72, scratch build, WIP

• 208 posts
  • Last reply 19 hours, 39 minutes ago
  • 1/72. Bridge, diorama, WIP
Viewing 16 - 30 of 208 posts
  • neil foster said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Wow Pete, this is an amazing looking project , where abouts on the planet are you by the way ? I am In a town called Warrington in England , if bridges are your thing we have a transporter bridge which is considered of importance to the bridge fraternity , I know there was a guy who came all the way from Japan to see it . There is also a nearby town called Northwich about 12 miles away that has a unique bridge called the Anderton boat lift that transports (still to this day) barges from one canal to another that is considerably lower, they might be of interest to you.
    Can’t wait to see this finished, N.

• Peter Hausamann said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thank you @neil-foster, Neil for visiting this build log. Much appreciated.

I only have an interest in bridges since this project. The interest is purely educational and helps me to appreciate bridges. The appreciation helps me to build a this bridge. It’s not my ‘thing’ as such. Thanks for referring those interesting bridge designs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrington_Transporter_Bridge
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderton_Boat_Lift

I am from Ballina, NSW, Australia. The project is for the Ballina naval & maritime Museum. They could not find anybody else silly enough to build it (ha ha ha).

• Peter Hausamann said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Designing and making pulley wheel brackets to suit.

Towers are just resting there to see what the bridge may look like.

• Peter Hausamann said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Adding a service gangway around the pulley wheels.

Trying to build some small traffic lights using 5 mm LEDs. Three mm LEDs seemed too small to be noticed, for they will be facing away from the observer operating the control console. First couple attempts to drill holes, close together, failed. Overall, the traffic lights are too big, but I think it will pass.

• Paul Barber said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Just checked in here after a while, Peter – this is absolutely outstanding. It is very different – some stunning engineering in a small enough scale, despite its size overall, to be highly impressive! Well done it has been a fantastic read catching up!

Thank you Paul @yellow10 for dropping by, and the fine complements. Much appreciated.

While considering who I was going to install the towers I discovered a potential problem. Once the towers are fixed into place, the lift span cannot be removed for repairs or maintenance. The pulley wheel assembly and gangway, on top of the towers, prohibit the spans’ removal.

Decided to replace one set of fixed lateral bumper rollers for a removable set. Now the span can be removed laterally.

The issues with installing the towers is that the road base needs to be added at the same time. The traffic lights, due to its wiring, needs to be installed while installing the road base. Also, the pulley wires that go through the road base and bridge structure need to be aligned during the assembly. It’s going to be a bit of a jiggle to get it all in place.

Built the road and footpath from Masonite. Drilled untold amount of holes for the railing posts along both sides of the bridge.

Anchored the wires to the bridge girders and had them routed through the display table. Then it was time to add the road, towers and traffic lights. I was surprised that it took me a few hours to align the cable holes through the road and bridge. Had to do a bit of filing on the bridge to get it right, which was very awkward to do. I had to keep going under the table to do some longitudinal filing, and then come out to check the alignment.

• Peter Hausamann said 2 months ago:

Used matchsticks for rail posts, and split bamboo skewers for railings.

• David Mills said 2 months ago:

An amazing project Peter – fantastic to see how you’ve gone about it – great work!

• Greg Kittinger said 2 months ago:

Way cool project! The results are fantastic so far – looking forward to seeing it evolve into a finished museum piece!

• Robert Royes said 2 months ago:

First time checking in. All I can say is wow !!

Thank you David @davem for dropping by.

Well it is my first model and scratch build, so I started not knowing anything about plastics and/or stuff one can buy from model railways etc. So in a way, I am working with what I am familiar with, and that is mainly wood and metal. However, I have recently been working with plastic, an interesting medium indeed. Though this particular build is farther down the track than my posts, I am currently doing a portion of the diorama in plastic. By the time I finish, I think the model will have all-sorts put into it 🙂

Thank you Greg @gkittinger for visiting this build, and compliment. Just to let you know, I too am interested to see it evolve into a museum piece. I sure hope it will work as well as it looks.

Viewing 16 - 30 of 208 posts