Classroom collection

• 5 posts
  • Last reply 3 years, 9 months ago
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts
  • Kevin Rigby said 3 years, 9 months ago:

It is great to have a place to hang ’em up! Students tell me there are over 250. I have them grouped chronology and by nationality beginning with WWII. All are 1/48 scale with several vac-u-form and conversions. I get a lot of positive comments from visitors. Students come before school and during lunch to build.

20 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Craig Abrahamson said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I remember the first time you posted these…a lot more pics this time. I can’t see that there’s too many examples that AREN’T there somewhere. Very impressive collection. Are they all done by you or do you have other contributors? All nicely done I might add. Good to see you work for an understanding (and cooperative) administration. What’s to become of them all?

Craig, thanks for your comment. Sorry to be slow in reply. The collection represents pretty much a lifetime of building. I started when I was six and the oldest model hanging is a HAWK P-51D from 1962 when I was 12. All the oldest builds have been stripped, repaired and repainted. I expanded to Vac-forms in order to get examples not available in the mainstream, like the B-52’s, KC-135, P2V etc. Others I have at home are also 1/48 scale and include: RB-47, AC-119, AC-123, EC-135, Il-28 and C-46. They take up a lot of room and to be honest, I don’t exactly know what I will do when I retire and have to take them down. I have a year or two to sort it out. Thanks again!

• Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Kevin, thanks for letting us see this, it’s what I always wanted to do myself, without much success after I went off to college, and then the Army and marraige, etc.
    My venue was smaller, I admit, and I’m amazed at the 48th B52. Vacuform? Egad!
    Shame this will go away, hope they can be saved for others to marvel at.
    There ought to be a national museum for the plastic model, centrally located, so that folks can see what’s been going on in their midst over the years. Shucks, I’d even volunteer to conduct tours.
    Hows that for a fantasy?
    Congratulations on your collection, and for sharing them to inspire others.

Thanks Bernard,
    The 1/48 B-52 is the old ID Models vac-form. Basic shape only but workable with lots of scratch building! Keep an eye on http://www.sangereng.fsnet.co.uk. Sanger’s next release is a 1/48 B-52. They have been promising this for years but seem to be getting close to release. I have built their 1/48 B-47 and it was tons of fun. Sanger is miles ahead of the old ID kits but as with all vac-forms, has lots of issues, but where else are you going to get a 1/48 B-47 or B-52?

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts