The Command Centre

• 52 posts
  • Last reply 3 years, 8 months ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 52 posts
  • Richard Mcstay said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I think the appropriate saying here is ‘all the gear, no idea’ !
    Well at least I am trying! This is the second bedroom in my house which Claire has been nice enough to let me use as a man cave. When I get home from my working stint in the Shetlands I normally spend my first day in here. I also retire here for other activities such as guitars, beers and playstation etc!
    I need to get some Metallica posters up and it will be sorted!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Gary Brantley said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That’s a very nice space Richard! Very tidy too I might add. 🙂

• Craig Abrahamson said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Well that’s a good start, but it’s way too neat. 🙂
    Seriously, I wish I had that much room. You should take Claire out to dinner for this.
    And buy some aviation art for those bare walls. 🙁

• Alan Rush said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Nice space Richard! Does your spray booth work well? Just open the window for some ventilation, I suppose. Wonder if a set up like that would work in my space.

• Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Richard:
    Thanks for the idea about the spray booth. Great idea, I’m cheap, and mechanically inept.
    Really nice space, I’d like to see an update, once it gets more cluttered. Mine looks like an explosion occurred in the past, and then things got worse….
    I’ve never been there, but I hear there’s not much in the Shetlands.Is that right?
    This history teacher buddy of mine is the only Yank I know who went there. He was looking at prehistoric sites, an interest of his.
    Regards,
    Bernie

• AL HOFFMAN said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Looks like a more than promising area to fill with clutter. BTW, your not supposed to be working on that type of Jaguar.

• George Williams said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Amazing, a whole room to yourself, I’m lucky to get one end of the dining table, which I have to clear off after every modelling session. My spray booth if through the open kitchen window (we live on the fifth floor), not so good now the winter’s here and the temperature is usually sub zero!

• Rob Pollock said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I have two areas – one indoors with all the usual stuff, and in my shed a wallpaper paste table on which are stacked a couple of cardboard fruit boxes as a work surface. I do my spray work there. Airbrush holder? A hole punched in the corner of the box!

• neil foster said 3 years, 11 months ago:

That’s a nice space you’ve got there Rich
    ,that Testors B2 is supposed to be shockingly bad from what I’ve read ,where did you find it ? I’ve never seen one either built or for sale.
    N.

• Bernd Müller said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Great “Headquarter” Richard, lots of space really nice.Should be fun to be there 🙂
    Your projects are looking very nice !
    Got also a “hobby room” with my modelling, my bench and beside the fact i don t play any instruments, my stereo and my music collection, 50% of my albums are on vinyl !
    For you, i will did my posters out, but its true that the Metallica guys are nowadays 20 years older ( goes for me too, oh well 🙁 )

Thanks Gary! I think the organization comes from ten years working as a restaurant chef. It’s either work clean and tidy, or don’t work at all. It is very brutal in that industry! But I suppose you can work faster when it is organized.

Thanks Craig! I’m taking Claire out to the UK’s number 1 restaurant on Tuesday as it happens as a birthday treat! You are right there actually, I’ve got a couple of music posters waiting to be framed, it is rather bare at the minute. I did see a cross stitch kit of a sea harrier that I could get for Claire. It would keep her out of my way and then I would have a lovely picture for my room. Win win!
    Alan, it does work well. The window is just next to it on the left. The front side of the box gets wrapped in cling film and used as a base, then the side and top pieces get cut up and used as trays. I stick parts down using folded over masking tape, then they can be put to one side to dry whilst another tray gets to work. I also have a smaller box which I stick cocktail sticks into for painting the wheels and missiles etc! I started like this when I was learning and pretty much prefer his method!
    Thanks Bernie, the Shetlands is depressing to be honest. The weather is horrendous and there are no trees growing there. There are only a few hours of daylight there in the winter as well! The islands were used as a half way stop by the Vikings so I am led to believe. I don’t mind going there to work but I could not live there!

Cheers Al, I’m doing more than work on it, in fact I have to completely trash it as a scrapyard find! It’s for my mates son who is big into classic car restoration.
    I know how you feel there George, in the past I have been confined to a coffee table and then half of the table in a caravan! I still need to open the window here, but it’s normally rain rather than snow here!
    I’ve only just got a holder Rob. There is one on my compressor but it tends to shake loose and then drop your paint everywhere! A hole in a box would work I suppose, that’s one thing about this hobby, you learn to be resourceful!

Hi Neil mate, it’s Rich! Who’s Dan?! How’s things? Are you going to the bike show next week in Birmingham? I’m down there on the Monday. I picked the B2 up on Ebay for £120. There’s normally a couple on there. I’ve heard the horror stories about it mate, but it can’t be worse than the Apache I’ve just built! At least I really hope not…. Thomas Probert posted one on here about a month ago, It was pretty good as well!!
    Cheers Bernd. I have a ‘And justice for all’ poster waiting to be framed, and a ‘Somewhere back in time’ Maiden one to go up. I need to get something on those bare walls. I’ve just got Machine Heads new album, it’s pretty decent!

• neil foster said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Sorry about that Rich I’ve changed it ,I was looking at Danny Atree’s Harrier just before your stuff, I saw machine head a couple of years back supporting Maiden at Manchester MEN arena ,they were pretty good.
    N.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 52 posts