DPowell's Figures

Started by David Powell · 7 · 9 years ago · acrylic, dragoon, figure, historical, napoleonic
  • Profile Photo
    David Powell said 9 years, 5 months ago:

A friend from the LA Miniaturists Society mentioned this site so I just signed up. I thought I would post some of my more recent figure work. I primarily paint figures (as opposed to working on vehicles). I do some fantasy and sci-fi work, but my favorite are historical figures. I especially like to work on Napoleonic figures (great colorful uniforms) and ancients (Romans, Greeks).

This first one is a French Dragoon from Pegaso Models. It's a 54mm figure (so 1/35 or 1/32 scale). He's in campaign dress so I tried to give him some realistic weathering. All in all a fun project to work on. I did a two part step by step write up which should be appearing in the Nov and Dec issues of Figure Painter Magazine.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Well, I promised figures so I guess I should post more than one. Here is another project from not too long ago, a 54mm Greek Hoplite from Romeo Models. The base is scratch built. I wanted to put him in a city setting as I was a bit bored of plain dirt/grass bases and I thought it gave him a reason to have his sword out. In the field he'd be fighting with a spear but going into an invaded city and searching the buildings for loot... well in that case I imagine the spear would be pretty impractical and he'd grab his sword.

The vases behind him are from my dad (he picked them up a toy soldier show and gave them to me). So I sanded them down and repainted them. The design work on the vases and the shield was all done freehand. I did base them on a few pottery pictures I snapped at a museum. The shield design comes from an ancient coin, although I did rework it quite a bit. The winged boar is a figure from Greek mythology (although not a well known one) called Chrysaor.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 5 months ago:

David, not to sound trite, but they look ALIVE. Whatever you're doing, keep it up. Unbelieveable!
    Thanks for letting us see these. I'M IN AWE.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

These are terrific, David, I think you should post these in the Headlines section, then more people can enjoy them!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I agree, David...don't hide them back here where nobody (well, hardly anybody) goes. 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Not to pile on David, but these need to be in the headline area, your work is amazing, I've never seen such like like anatomy painting.

• Profile Photo

Thanks! I just posted these along with two more projects over in the headlines.