A word of caution

Started by Jay Mitchell · 10 · 1 year ago · adhesives, paint thinner, Paints, solvents
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 year, 8 months ago:

When I’m not working on model airplanes, I’m often working on real aircraft for a major American Airline. On the mechanics home page this morning was this safety reminder about working with hazardous materials , such as chemicals . I thought it might be applicable to modelers since we deal with chemicals often , and some of us have done it for years or even decades . I certainly wish there was this much awareness when I first got involved as an aircraft mechanic and modeler.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks Jay!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 1 year, 8 months ago:

We need to heed the warning. We work with dangerous solvents and resin. Use all the necessary safety equipment and stay safe.

• Profile Photo

When I was in the military we were told your eyes absorb more chemicals then your lungs do . The AF had started using full face respirators that covered the eyes too. We probably don’t need that , when working on a model , but at least have adequate ventilation or fan to move air around

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks for sharing this, my friend @ssgt!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks for warning us, Jay @ssgt

• Profile Photo

Always glad to give free advice @fiveten & @johnb !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the reminder, Jay (@ssgt). I remember the days when I used Floquil and cleaned everything in lacquer thinner. I didn't think twice about breathing it or putting my hand in it. Now I wouldn't even dream of doing that. As much as I hate acrylics, they do have fewer harmful qualities. I sometimes take art classes, and one of my instructors pointed out that everyone seems very careful when using oil paints, especially things with cadmium, etc, but they don't take the same caution when using watercolor paints. Somehow people think they are less toxic when mixed with something acrylic or water-based. She pointed out that the stuff is still toxic, even if it is in a water-based binder. So...I am still careful around acrylics. :o)

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the reply George @gblair ! I wouldn’t have thought water colors were dangerous! Thanks for that info. I’ve been careless around chemicals almost my whole aviation and model building life... I hope I don’t end up paying a high price for that cavalier attitude . When I first joined the Air Guard in 1981 we used a cleaner called “ safety clean”. Later they quit using it because it was found to be dangerous ... I think it was MEK. It sure worked good though getting your hands clean or spots off your uniform.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Sometimes I cringe when I think about the stuff I have put my hands into in the past, Jay (@ssgt). Lacquer thinner and MEK were just some of them. I am sure the maintenance people on the planes I flew (C-141s and T-37s) encountered much worse. If you think about our paints, it is the stuff that creates the colors in the paint that is hazardous, and it doesn't really matter if the binder in the paint is oil-based, acrylic, or water-based. Hopefully we are more aware of the hazards now than we were before.