Deleted

Started by Colin Gomez · 15 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Deleted

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Wow, very nice and informative write up Colin! I have always wondered what was sealing that side of the needle. I will keep this in mind for down the road, should mine seemingly ever come loose. Many thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Colin, @coling
    Andrew, @pb_legend

I had the same problem with my Iwata. I have the HP-C Plus, and it is a gravity feed air brush too. I still have the original paperwork that came with it when I bought it new. However I didn’t have any idea of where I was able to get the new parts.

After a lot of internet sleuthing I found a website for various paint and air brush supplies. As a bonus they are located not too far away.

The company is called Spraygunner.com. Here's a link to their website. In addition to new air brushes, repair tools and airbrush parts, they also sell paint, like Mission Models

https://spraygunner.com/

They are a group of people who are like minded and they are also model builders which is a plus. I ended up ordering a new Harder and Steenbeck airbrush from them and they supplied me with a tool kit for it. I talked with them about the problems I had with my Iwata and right away they knew what I needed to fix it.

I knew that I was talking to the right people when I told them I wanted a good air brush for painting WW2 Luftwaffe mottling... The salesman asked me if I was building a Focke Wulf or a 109...then asked me what scale it was !

They even sent me a “gift” tool set that also included the special screwdriver needed to replace the packing screw.

Here’s a picture of the tool.

And a closer look at the tip where the packing goes.

Hope this helps. I can’t speak highly enough about this. They have knowledge AND customer service. These guys know what they are doing.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Good info , @coling & @lgardner ! Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I had similar problems with my H&S and Badger airbrushes, and have purchased a very expensive full packing kit and a screwdriver. I do not recall the price, bit in function it looks like Louis' example, just a bit more expensive. I should probably have stayed with my first thought of using some old electronics screwdrivers I have laying around instead - Oh, well, now I have the slickest and priciest screwdriver in my area. . . . - thanks for sharing @coling, sure it will come to the rescue of other iModelers!

• Profile Photo

Deleted

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for sharing this amazing info, @coling!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great info Colin @coling, thanks for that.
    Will definitely note that down.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks, Colin (@coling). After reading all of this, I am glad I still use a Paasche single-action airbrush that I have had for probably 40 years or more. It's like that old ad for Timex watches: It take a licking and keeps on ticking. All I have ever done in that time was replace a couple of rubber gaskets, which is probably the equivalent of what you did to fix yours. Airbrushes can be frustrating, glad you solved your problem.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I did the same with my HP-C plus a few months back, and now the trigger has a better feel to it with the added drag from tightening the packing screw a bit more. No need for any special tools here, I had a small screwdriver in the garage that fit perfectly.

@lgardner Spraygunner is a great site for airbrushes and related items. I bought my Procon Boy PS-270 there last year and couldn't be happier with the quality (same as IWATA) and price (half the price). I am looking at getting the PS-771 0.18mm for fine detail work, and perhaps a simple 0.4 or 0.5 for primers/metallics.

• Profile Photo

Woody, @wkubacki
    I agree with you about Spraygunner... They are the best in my book.

A regular screwdriver can be used to remove / replace the packing just as you mentioned. The tool they gave me works much better, simply because it holds the packing screw in place and keeps it centered (and square) when you are trying to install it back into the body of your air brush. The last thing you want to do is cross thread something in this hard to access location. That would be a nightmare and could possibly render the main body of the air brush useless. When I use this tool to remove the packing screw for maintenance / cleaning, I can reinstall it in a matter of seconds.

The tool I posted a picture of, was actually part of an inexpensive gift set they sent me, that also included another specialty screwdriver in the same package.

I couldn't be more pleased with the service from Spraygunner, and I will be returning back to them when I need something else. Thanks for the heads up about the Procon Boy air brush. I think you are right on the mark with your comments about the various needle and seat sizes for different kind of paints.

One thing I did when I ordered the Harder and Steenbeck from them, was that I purchased several of the quick release couplers for the air hose coming from the compressor.

This allows you to swap over from one airbrush to another in a few seconds. It is the same principle as how an air coupler is used for full sized automotive (or aircraft) air tools, only in miniature.

Simply place a small "male" fitting on the airbrush,

Install the "female" coupler on the air supply hose...

and you can swap from one air brush to another in a matter of seconds. This photo shows an air control valve that I also installed on the air hose. It allows me to fine tune the air pressure.

Hope this helps. It will make changing over from one air brush to another a breeze. I never knew these small accessories like this even existed before I started talking to the representative / sales person at Spraygunner.

• Profile Photo

Colin,
    At no time was I ever trying to dispute anything you have stated. I simply was trying to show there are other things available for us to use.

I have read the articles you have posted. I was simply trying to help you and others with another viable option that’s all.

Yes this airbrush tool set was given to me as a gift by the crew at Spraygunner. They also sell them to the general public. They are very inexpensive and going from memory a person can purchase it for less than $10 which is quite less expensive than the other options that have been mentioned.

It was given to me as a “complimentary gift” for making a large purchase of the H&S airbrush, the quick couplers and some paint. Chances are that I did pay for it in the long run…… I simply wasn’t charged for it. They told me that they often put little gifts in with the orders when the order is substantial. They just happened to give me something that I would use often.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful to you by posting this information. I was simply trying to allow others to make a more informed decision about this.

That’s all and nothing else.

I do like the idea you have presented with using the needle to center your packing. It can be done just like you have shown, if you don’t have the proper tool.

But it’s still possible to cross thread the packing if you are not careful. If you happen to pull the needle too far out while you are trying to use the small screwdriver to thread the packing nut in place, then it could lead you into trouble.

The tool that I have posted eliminates this problem altogether. I can install the packing nut blindfolded and have it done in a few seconds.

It’s also very inexpensive.

• Profile Photo

Colin,
    I was not trying to be disrespectful towards you or any other human being on our planet. Is it a crime to offer help for our fellow colleagues ?

I guess so in this case huh ? Unsolicited help. Sure thing……….if you say so. I understand the part where you didn't ASK for me to write about this tool... I get that part. We don't "ask" people to write any comments on our articles do we ? Sometimes I do, I will write something like this: "Comments are encouraged" on 99% of everything I post on here. Unlike you, I welcome the opinion of others. I tend to learn new things this way in a constructive manner.

So what are we not allowed to say about anything on any of the various topics that we are so fortunate to have here on this Imodeler website ? This sounds more like censorship to me. So you are implying that we should not compose a genuine reply on anyone else's articles ? Since they are not legitimately marked as I have pointed out above ?

Imagine how this website would be if no one posted a reply (or opinion) to any article, build journal (or what have you) that was posted on here. Suddenly it would be a very quiet place on here don't you think ?

If you continue to think in this manner then you will quickly see what I mean. In a world where people are afraid to speak their mind, for fear of that what they are saying is misconstrued, then no one will benefit from vast amounts of knowledge that we have here in this little modeling community. There are some things that you know about, that I don’t, and sometimes it is flipped around the other way. We all benefit from our sharing of knowledge and not squandering it in fear that we will be hurting someone else unintentionally.

I guess this is a sign of the times. Political correctness is taking over everything it seems doesn’t it ? Now we can’t even explain ourselves to one another without someone getting their feelings hurt.

I promise you that I was simply trying to offer assistance, with no strings attached.

You can twist it around however you please. I know that my intentions were friendly and not subversive as you so quickly implied.

Are we not supposed to be offering advice to our fellow friends who may or may not know about a different way of doing something ? I am not, and I have never implied (or expressed), my so called perceived “superiority” to anyone else on this website.

Chill out my friend. I sincerely was only trying to help. That’s all it was and nothing more.

Apparently you are offended by this kind gesture.

Believe me that was not my intention. However if you want to continue down this path, I’ll quote Val Kilmer in the movie Tombstone. "I’ll be your Huckleberry." ... 😉

Now that’s being righteous and self centered isn’t it ? Believe me, you will know it when I am trying to offend you. It will be perfectly clear and to the point. You will have no doubt.

However, I would rather not act in this manner.

This notion you present to me is absurd... that we, as grown adults, should be afraid of hurting someone's feelings when our intentions are benevolent isn't it ? This is something more like what you would find in the 3rd grade of elementary school.

Let’s call it a truce and move on. Unlike what you have said, I do value your advice, even if you don’t value mine.

My advice was not offered to imply any sort of superiority on my behalf, whether you think so or not. It was simply another option for the readers to consider. Nothing more, nothing less. That I can assure you.

• Profile Photo

Deleted

• Profile Photo

Your wish is my command Comrade ! Consider it done. You will no longer hear from me again. Maybe you should look in the mirror as far as getting a mental health evaluation... this is supposed to be a modeling website, and not a place for bipolar ranting.

By the way, you should look at this previous group build we had a few years ago. It was very successful, and it was called the Kasserine Pass.

https://imodeler.com/groups/battle-of-kasserine-passtunisia-campaign-build-group/

For some reason this looks eerily similar to your Desert Air War group. I thought you might like to see this... Oh, wait a minute... Ooops... I did it again and offered advice.

Did this hurt your little bitty feelings ?

If so too bad. KMA See ? I told you that you would know it when I was being out of line.

Now seriously, please let this go. Our fellow model builders and friends do not want to see us firing away at each other. This is supposed to be a hobby AND fun.

I'm done. For our fellow Imodeler readers, I apologize for having to deal with this.

In all seriousness, all I tried to do was help. As they say, no good deed goes unpunished. Here is proof.