Any hints on how to replicate a silver painted a/c finish?

Started by Kenneth Tracy · 13 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Kenneth Tracy said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Hello all
    Looking to get some hints on how to replicate a silver painted finish without it looking overly silver. Any hints, tips or ideas will be appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 6 years, 5 months ago:

I think you may need to be a bit more specific about what you're trying to achieve Ken.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Neil
    I was speaking about the silver finish painted on some a/c such as the Belgian Spitfires post war, or any silver painted a/c. Straight from the bottle any of today's metallic paints would be to "silver"-bright.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Maybe you could get a few ideas and/or answers here:

NMF’s – the easy way….
  • Profile Photo

Thanks but I'm not talking about NM Finishes but Painted Silver finishes that were used instead of or in lieu of bare metal finishes. Some ideas on how to make a silver painted (in real life) finish in model form with out it looking overly silver.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 5 months ago:

G'day Kenneth, here are a few of my models finished in MM 1781 aluminium, previously posted.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Ken, if you can find some Floquil Old Silver, that might do what you're looking for. You can also add a little flat white or light gray to the silver to tone it down a bit. Doesn't take much.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 6 years, 5 months ago:

My go to is decanted Tamiya AS 12 spray, thinned with a touch of laquer thinner. If you look at my gallery with Tamiyas 1/32 Mustang you will get the idea. Lots of tutorials on line. The stuff is practically bullet proof!

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 6 years, 5 months ago:

There are any number of silver shades in automotive spares shops try experimenting with some of them ,here in theU.K. I always use Halfords , my preferred shade is Vauxhall Star silver straight from the rattle can.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Thank You ALL for your ideas and tips. Will consider ALL. 1st try is the Floquil Old silver toned down only because I do have a bottle in my stash. A quick mix and test will let me know if thats what I'm looking for. Again thank you all for sharing not only your time and knowledge but a great display of world class models.
    Thanks Again and Cheers all
    Ken.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

I have always had very good luck using Model Master “Metallizer” non buffing aluminum color which is a nice shade to replicate the original aluminum lacquer and dopes used by the US Navy back in the 1930’s.
    I then use a coat of gloss clear coat to cover the aluminum paint and seal the Metalizer.

Here's a link to the build log where there are more photos of the painting process.

http://imodeler.com/groups/75th-anniversary-battle-of-midway-group-build/forum/topic/148-monogram-tbd-1-devastator/?topic_page=1&num=15

And finally here a link for the completed build which was part of our Midway Group Build from earlier this year.

1/48 Monogram Douglas TBD Devastator, USS Enterprise, 04 June 1942

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hello Louis
    Well your hint is also worth a try since I do have the Model Master aluminum paint you mentioned, Thanks for you time and input and I'll be sure to mention all the help received when the job is complete. From your photos I can see that you're on to something with that information.
    Thanks again
    Ken

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 5 years ago:

Do you know the "Rub'n buff" colours ? I think they have a shade of silver that you may like it .