F-4 wing lock indicator pin

Started by Greg Kittinger · 7 · 1 year ago · f-4, Phantom
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 1 year, 10 months ago:

One of my next projects will be the F-4E in ADC scheme that took off from Reykjavik without the wings being locked in the down position. This would mean that the indicator pins (normally painted red but in this case recently overpainted in the same ADC grey as the rest of the aircraft) would be poking up on the upper side of the wing (from the account I read). I couldn't find a reference photo showing where that pin is located, and how far it would stick up. Anyone have a clue? PM me of you have an answer please!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Unbelievable photo, Greg (@gkittinger). I don't know how obvious the indicators might be, but someone sure messed up their preflight. Keflavik used to have planes on alert that could scramble quickly, so it is possible a crew chief or someone else did the preflight. I guess it is a good thing the entire wing couldn't fold.

• Profile Photo

@gblair The problem stemmed from the fact that the aircraft had just been repainted from SEA scheme to ADC gray, and the paint crew had accidentally left the pin gray from the paint job and failed to repaint it red! No one noticed it during pre-flight - they were probably more used to looking for red than looking for a "raised pin."

• Profile Photo

Spiros sent me pics from an aircraft in maintenance with the pins raised, so I've got what I need!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Glad you got some pics, Greg (@gkittinger). Even in 1/48 the pin will be very small. Will you paint it red or gray? :o) When I was flying T-37s, our checklist would require us to visually check certain items, but I always taught my students to physically touch the item as a backup to just using eyes. One of the benefits of having a small airplane.

• Profile Photo

@gblair Building in 1/72, so even smaller! It'll be gray as happened in the incident.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 10 months ago:

F4 with winglets - that is a build to look forward to!